After remaking the old Congregational church into the Art Cinema in 1954, George Shafir built a movie theater from the ground up: the New Art Cinema, reached through an arcade of shops in much altered older structures. The architect was Burnett Vickers. An enlivening feature was a carved wood signpost (detail pictured) by Joan Wye. The complex opened in 1966. Café Express, Leathering Heights, Pearson’s Stained Glass, Frappo 66, Lagniappe Café, and Little Deb’s Cafe were tenants. Current tenants include Blondie’s Burgers and Bogey’s Bar; Donna Flax’s D. Flax clothing store, which opened in 1987; and the Q Too gift shop. In 2006, the New Art Cinema became the Art House, a venue for live performances. Russ King’s Miss Richfield 1981 (pictured) was among the early headliners.
Update | July 2015: Blondie’s Burgers has been replaced by Brewhouse 1620 and Q Too has been replaced by Herringcove.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.