If the Red Inn epitomizes the town’s genteel past, Land’s End Inn represents the wild and extravagant. This Shingle-style, tchotchke-and-craftwork-stuffed polygonal hulk was built atop Gull Hill in 1904 by Charles Lothrop Higgins, Mayflower descendant, Boston haberdasher, world traveler, lifelong bachelor, and — obviously — nonconformist. He called it the Bungalow. Its 24 rooms, some of them teak-paneled, contained Asian art and antiquities. After his death in 1926, Irene Buckler converted the Bungalow into the Land’s End Tea House, which opened in 1932. David Schoolman took over in 1972. He greatly expanded the building, adding the second tower and supplementing the eclectic collection of artifacts within. Land’s End was by now such an icon that it was given a supporting role in the 1995 comedy Lie Down With Dogs.
Schoolman died of AIDS, at 51, in 1995. Michael MacIntyre and Bob Anderson bought the property in 2001 from the David Adam Schoolman Trust, which invested $750,000 from the proceeds of the sale into construction of the Provincetown Theater. The couple, who also expanded the Brass Key, added air-conditioning to Land’s End, expanded the decks, rehabilitated the gardens, and completed landscaping of the grounds to plans that Schoolman had devised. Anderson died in 2004, at 47. MacIntyre sold the property in 2012 to Eva and Stan Sikorski.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.