How many guide books urge you to go into a bank? Well, do go into this one. Seamen’s Bank is also a fine art gallery. In 1963, under William F. Silva, it purchased the old Cape Cod Garage as its new headquarters site. The building opened in 1964 when Jeanne “Frenchie” Chanel made the first deposit: $13. Behind the tellers’ counter is a portrait of Silva by Samuel Edmund Oppenheim. Other works are by Salvatore Del Deo, Henry Hensche and Ada Rayner, Ciro Cozzi, Nancy Whorf, and Charles Kaeselau (pictured). The abstract stained-glass window in the board room is by John Knight. The bank has kept alive the memory of three draggers that were lost at sea in recent decades — Patricia Marie, Cap’n Bill, and Victory II — in paintings by John Mendes. This is a mutual institution, not a commercial one — operated for the benefit of depositors. It was founded in 1851 as the Seamen’s Savings Bank. John K. Roderick is the president and chairman.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.