A utilitarian building that has adapted to the many tenants who’ve passed through its timber frame. It was built around 1900 and was known in the 1920s and 1930s as Adams’ Garage, operated by John Darrow Adams Jr.; also as Dr. Curley’s Garage after its owner, Dr. Clarence Curley. His wife, Clio Rachel (Hull) Curley, was active in the Nautilus Club, the women’s civic group that once met here. In the ’60s, it housed Clark’s Flower Shop and the Golden Gull gift shop. William Hoontis and Francis “Cliff” Cowgill II opened the Provincetown Cheese Market and Deli in 1978. It was in business until 1999, succeeded by the Blue Light restaurant, Blondie’s Burgers, and, in 2013, by the Canteen, run by Rob Anderson and Loïc Rossignon (pictured), who live over the store. In the back, they discovered old automotive posters behind sheetrock walls, from Dr. Curley’s day.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.