Two burial grounds that were once privately owned are now municipally run and sometimes referred to collectively as the New Cemetery. The old Hamilton Cemetery has only 92 lots. The Gifford Cemetery, which surrounds Hamilton like a fat L, has 251 lots and at least 27 Giffords, including the namesake of the Gifford House, James Gifford. Its most important monument commemorates those who fell in the “Great Rebellion.” Three hundred men from hereabouts went to fight the Confederacy. Eighteen did not return. Their memorial obelisk depicts interlocking emblems: a square-rigged sail, an anchor, crossed swords, rifles, cannons and cannon balls. The names of the dead are inscribed, including Josiah Cutter Freeman, son of the keeper of Long Point Light, who was aboard the wooden sloop Cumberland in 1862 when it was sunk by the Confederate ironclad Virginia, a milestone in naval warfare.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.