The West End Inn, an unusually large Greek Revival-style house, looks — appealingly — as if it’s almost all windows. The Provincetown Historic Survey dates it to 1855. Dick Knudson, one of the proprietors of the Galley at 63 Commercial in the 1950s, and Bill Gilbert, a retired technician at Bell Laboratories, opened the building as the Bed ‘n B’fast guest house in 1983, then gradually reclaimed space from what had been a warren of small apartments. They were succeeded in 1992 by Jack Kosko, a former partner in Pat Shultz’s real estate brokerage, and John Fitzgerald, a former town treasurer. It is now owned by Warren Lefkowich, and has been operated as the West End Inn since 1995.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.