Capt. Stephen Nickerson (1756-1832) built this house on the shoreline around 1790, about where the West End parking lot is now. There was no Commercial Street at the time; the house simply faced the harbor. In 1807, his son Stephen Nickerson (1793-1879) moved the building upland to its current location, thereby creating space to service his whaling business. His son Stephen Thomas Nickerson (1824-1893) built the Steve Tom Nickerson Wharf just about where the boat launch is today. Commercial Street was cut in front of the house sometime after 1835.
In the 1930s, this was the Vernon Inn. Court Prentice and Dean Macara ran a B&B here from 1995 to 2009 and, respecting history, called it the 1807 House.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.