An expansive lawn and picket fence set off the handsome full Cape that was for three decades the home and office of the town optometrist, Dr. Max Berman, and his wife, Anita, the high school guidance counselor. Built around 1820, according to the Provincetown Historic Survey, it was for seven generations the Miller family homestead, ending with the death of George Fillmore Miller Jr. in 1978. The Millers owned B. H. Dyer & Company, which once dominated the hardware and paint business in town. Gregory Craig, a private investor in Telluride, Colo., acquired the house in 2007 and began an ambitious, meticulous, multi-year restoration.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.