The plaque on No. 84 states that it was built in 1797, a date accepted by the Provincetown Historic Survey with the considerable caveat that the building was heavily altered over time, gaining a full-length shed dormer and losing its porch. In 1966, Phyllis and Israel Sklar, opened Phyllis Handwrought Jewelry at this location. Phyllis Gold had been a jeweler in Greenwich Village, where she met Sklar, an artist and musician. At their wedding in 1960, the jazz clarinetist Pee Wee Russell was the best man. They opened their first Provincetown shop in the East End in 1961. Phyllis died in 2010, Izzi two years later. In 2014, one of her brooches (pictured) was accepted into the collection of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.