Leo’s Place (Shack No. 2)
The Noones brothers, Albert and Edward, and Edward “Jake” Loring, the operator of Loring’s Taxi, are credited with this shack, begun in the latter 1930s as a place for fishing and socializing. Howard Lewis, an upholsterer, bought it in 1952 or 1953. Leo Fleurant lived here year-round from 1963 until his death — in the shack — in 1984. Ten years later, the Park Service leased the shack jointly for 20 years to Emily Beebe and Evelyn Simon, under a program developed by a dune shack subcommittee for preserving three shacks that had been deteriorating through neglect.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.