Adams shacks (Nos. 3 and 4)
Jake Loring and Dominic Avila, a carpenter, built this cottage as a Back Shore resort in 1935. It was acquired in 1953 by Marcia (Cargill) Adams and her husband, David, a professor at Western Michigan University who was also painted wildflowers. It’s been occupied by the family subject to a stipulation of settlement with the government. There are close bonds between the Adamses and the Champlins next door. Their cottages were known collectively as Professors Row. This shack was also used by Patricia and Francis Villemain, of the University of Toledo, who called it Saddle-Up. The Adams enclave includes a smaller shack, built in 1935 and moved in 1992, that has housed guests of the family.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.