Kemp-Tasha shack (No. 9)
The most modest of the shacks casts the longest shadow, as it is linked to Harry Kemp (pictured), poet and author of Love Among the Cape Enders. It started as the hen house at the Peaked Hill Bars station, was rebuilt by the coast guardsman Frank Cadose, and then owned by Frank Henderson, who rented it to Kemp in summer, beginning in 1927 or 1928. Kemp occupied it year-round from about 1946 until 1959, when Rose “Sunny” (Savage) Tasha built a cottage for him at Tasha Hill. Kemp bequeathed the shack to Sunny. It was blown apart in a storm in the ’60s, rebuilt, and used by her children — Paul, Paula, Carl, and Carla — and by their children, under a special-use permit that must be renewed annually.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.