Malkin-Jackson shack (No. 10)
The original shack was built in 1917 by Charles Rogers, a town official. He sold it in 1926 to Alice Malkin, who was studying with Charles Hawthorne. Both the Malkin cottage and the second Peaked Hill Bars station — the ruins of which are not far away — were moved from the eroding dune cliff at about the same time and by the same mover, Jesse Meads, which may be why they wound up so close together. When Malkin died in 1943, the cottage passed to her daughter, Zara Malkin. She was married to Irving Ofsevit from 1950 until his death in 1987, after which she married Samuel Jackson. After a 1990 fire, the shack was reconstructed by volunteers working under Bill Fitts of the Peaked Hill Trust, who also crafted a terrific nautical outhouse. The Jacksons’ continued occupancy depends on a special permit, renewable annually.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.