Province Lands Visitor Center
The signature National Seashore building is the hexagonal Province Lands Visitor Center of 1967-69, which replaced the Grand View Tower of 1955, a rudimentary but well-loved viewing platform. The center was designed by Benjamin Biderman of the National Park Service’s Eastern Office of Design and Construction. F. Clifford Pearce Jr., who designed the Race Point bathhouse and Beech Forest comfort station, also worked on this job. Plate-glass windows on the main level and a wrap-around upper deck take great advantage of the siting. The low-slung, shingled roof seems a perfect Cape Cod expression of the Mission 66 construction program. Biderman also designed the 700-seat Province Lands Amphitheater of 1968, near the Visitor Center.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.