Race Point Station
The Race Point Life-Saving Station was built in 1872. What is now the Oversand Station was built in 1888 as a stable. The nearby garage served as a barn. Capt. Samuel Fisher, the keeper from 1888 to 1915, helplessly heard the last signal of the Portland in the 1898 gale, before she sank with 192 aboard. In 1922, two years into Prohibition, the schooner Annie L. Spindler, out of Nova Scotia, ran aground with a cargo of Haig & Haig whiskey. It took no time for word to reach town, even before her captain could ask the station to put the hooch in protective custody. The Coast Guard added a main building with a hipped roof and neo-Classical portico in the early ’30s. The watch tower, designed by Julian Latham, looked like a dune shack on 25-foot-high stilts. After the Coast Guard moved into town in 1979, the station was taken over by the National Park Service. It is used today by the Rangers.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.