C. Lawrence Schuster, a naturalist with Alpha Whale Watch, is currently the lone year-round resident of the dunes. The shack was built and first used by the surfmen John Cook and Joseph Medeiros.
It was acquired in 1934 by Eunice Eddy Bratten, a relation of Mary Baker Eddy, and her husband Theodore Braaten. Their son, David Braaten, was a noted feature writer at The Washington Star. The Navy leased the shack on the eve of World War II and refitted it for support of the submarine service. Schuster began using it in the early 1980s and remains here under a special use permit. His shack is unmistakable on the sandy skyline, since the crest of the roof is crowned by an old Adirondack chair. Could there be a more perfect visual expression of the dune shack life?