The Malicoat cottage — the only one of the 18 that is still privately owned — aligns exactly with the family’s property at 312-320 Bradford Street, which once ran all the way to the Atlantic. The artist Philip Cecil Malicoat (1908-1981) built his first shack in 1948 or 1949 on what he believed to be the oceanside extension of his parcel.
The shack burned down in the 50s when Joe Oliver, proprietor of the Days Lumber Yard studios, was staying there. Before rebuilding, Malicoat had the site surveyed. It turned out that the original shack was about 700 to 800 feet outside the property lines. The second cottage was properly situated. On Philip’s death, the property passed to his son, the sculptor Conrad Malicoat, and Conrad’s wife, the artist and ceramist Anne Lord. Her siblings and their children and grandchildren use the cottage. Every year, the family also welcomes the new fellows at the Fine Arts Work Center. The Malicoats held on to their property against condemnation because “they provided a legal deed that held up in court and they demonstrated that it was an ‘improved property’ (more than just a primitive shack) that pre-dated 1959,” a Seashore official, Bill Burke, explained.