“Euphoria” is the larger of the two shacks that belonged to the writer and preservationist Hazel Hawthorne Werner (1901-2000) — if the adjective “larger” can be fairly applied to a 16-by-12-foot structure. It was built around 1930, apparently by the coast guardsman Frank “Spucky” Silva, who also built Thalassa (Shack 14).
Werner, the author of The Salt House, arrived in the dunes in the 1920s, pursuing a vision she’d had in New York’s stifling heat of “a place by the ocean, where you could take a blanket and sleep on the beach and there was nobody around.” She first bought Thalassa and then acquired Euphoria in the early 1940s. When she reached her late 70s, she was unable to make the dune trek any longer and began renting the shacks. For three summers, the writer Cynthia Huntington and her husband, the artist Bert Yarborough, made their home in Euphoria. Huntington described the last of these summers in her own version of The Salt House, a collection of lovely essays published in 1999. Since 1989 [?], Euphoria has been maintained and managed by the Peaked Hill Trust, headed [?] by Harriet “Hatty” Walker Fitts, under a special permit from the Park Service.