(Former) Bryant House
Bryant House, as this property was known for many years, was opened by Mary Ann (MacKenzie) Bryant of Nova Scotia in 1914. At first it was a restaurant specializing in seafood, roasts, chops and steaks “cooked by a Cape Cod house-wife.” Her daughter-in-law, Marie-Louise (Kopp) Bryant of Allentown, Pa., expanded it into a guest house, which she ran until 1949. Marie-Louise’s son, George Bryant, is an architectural historian and legendary local iconoclast. It was l’Hotel Hibou in the 1970s and Eddie’s Pastry Shop, run by Eddie Moran, in the 90s.
The Bryants also owned the building up the lane. In the 1970s, they sold this back building to Gene Greene, who opened a restaurant there that was named Gene Greene’s Terrace but was generally referred to as the Terrace [133 Bradford Street]. Gene was the lover of Al Stilson, who owned and ran the Ranch, a guest house at 198 Commercial Street.