Provincetown was firmly joined to the mainland in 1873, when the Old Colony Railroad inaugurated service from Boston. The depots stood here but the tracks continued to Railroad Wharf, to serve the fishing fleet. Four trains crawled daily up and down the Cape. They brought thousands of visitors, including New Yorkers who’d taken overnight boats to Fall River before switching to the train. Old Colony was subsumed into the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad in 1893. The last regularly scheduled passenger train ran in 1938. The passenger depot was replaced in 1950 by Duarte Motors, now the Duarte Mall. The freight depot was moved to 365 Old King’s Highway in North Truro, where it stands.