Far Land Provisions opened in 2004; its name combining those of Jim Farley and Tom Boland, who was then chairman of the Historic District Commission. Cozy, aromatic, and temptingly cluttered, it is a beacon of life in winter months. The building, constructed in 1952, has long played that role, as the L & A Supermarket — that would be Leo and Arlene Morris; Nelson’s Market, founded in 1933 at 349 Commercial and run by Clarence and Mabel Nelson; McNulty’s Market, Tim and Pam McNulty; and Bradford’s, Brad McDermott and Charles Pagliuca. As Nelson’s, the store provisioned much of the fishing fleet, delivering directly to the wharf. Its phone number, 45, is preserved as the root of Far Land’s (508) 487-0045.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.