Sears, Roebuck sold mail-order house kits with all the lumber, fixtures, and plans you needed to do it yourself. Assembled in 1917, this is one of several in town. It was a boarding house in the 1940s, run by Amelia Emily (Francis) Davis, where naval and civilian engineers stayed during submarine tests off Long Point. Alden “Pete” Steele and Clotilda “Tillie” Steele bought it in 1965 and ran it as the Casa Brazil Lodge, then sold it to Frederick and Phyllis Klein, who ran it as Frederick’s. Investors led by David Brudnoy purchased it in 1983 and created a condo, rechristening the front building Elephant Walk, after an Elizabeth Taylor movie of the same name. Len Paoletti, former proprietor of the Victoria House, owned the property from 1985 to 2003, when he sold it to Michael Clifford.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.