Once surrounded by maple trees, this gambrel-roofed house was built around 1860 for a Captain Small. From the 1960s through the early ’80s, it was the Maples guest house, run by Postmaster William Cabral and his wife, Ruth, who “cooked food for many a starving artist when the Fine Arts Work Center opened up,” her granddaughter Doreen Alsen recalled. It was renovated in 1984 as Plums Bed & Breakfast Inn, by Michael Wright. She (yes, she) was among the first Women Innkeepers of Provincetown, “whose goals were to create safe women-oriented spaces … and assist one another in all ways,” Karen Christel Krahulik wrote in Provincetown: From Pilgrim Landing to Gay Resort. It was acquired in 1999 by John Mirthes and Rick Reynolds, who run it as Seasons, an “inn for all” — gay, lesbian, and straight.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.