The Gingerbread Gothic house, its remarkable occupants and its view over the rooftops of Lovetts Court have made this one of the most depicted places in town. The house was built c1850 by Capt. Caleb Cook, who made watch lubricant in the corner building. E. Ambrose Webster acquired it in 1900. His Summer School of Painting was at 463 Commercial Street but his own studio was here. After he died in 1935, his widow, Georgianna (Rodgers) Webster, leased the studio to the artist Gordon Hamm. She died in 1941. The property passed to her nephew, Karl Rodgers Sr., whose daughter, Delorma (Rodgers) Morton, owned it until 2008.
They rented part of the property to the sculptor William F. Boogar and his wife, Alice Boogar; and to the artists Bert Yarborough and Paul Bowen. It is now owned by James R. Bakker, the former executive director of the Pilgrim Monument and Provincetown Museum. • Historic District Survey, main house • Historic District Survey, cottage • Historic District Survey, shed • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Updated 2011-10-08