The artist Isaac Henry Caliga of Boston and his wife, Elizabeth Howland, who came to town in 1912 to study with Hawthorne, lived here. Their house originated as a fish shed built around 1880 by the H. & S. Cook Company. It was turned into a barber shop, opposite Town Hall, before being rolled out here. Caliga died in 1944 and Howland in 1960. Her sister, Ruth (Howland) DeWitt, remained here until her death in 1965. The property is now owned by Gaby Rilleau, whose father, Roger, was a renowned sandal maker. Rilleau believes the garage doors, painted in the style of Peter Hunt, may be the work of a Caliga-DeWitt family member who ran the Peasant Door shop.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.