At the heart of this house is a fish shed, built c1880 by the H. & S. Cook Company. It was turned into a barber shop that stood opposite Town Hall before being rolled here. Isaac Henry Caliga (1857-1944), a painter who studied in Munich, and his wife, Elizabeth Howland (1877-1960), who came to town in 1912 to study with Charles W. Hawthorne, lived here.
They had part of a Barnum & Bailey Circus snake-charmer’s wagon in the garden. The Rev. Robert Wood Nicholson, vicar of St. Mary’s, was a tenant. It’s owned by Gabrielle “Gaby” Rilleau, whose father, Roger Rilleau, was a renowned sandal maker.