A synergy you’d only find in Ptown: tennis club and art gallery. They are both housed in a structure built by Gladys Miller Rokos and used by the Tennis Club of Provincetown, founded in 1924 by Charles Hawthorne, Dr. Percival Eaton, Henry Winslow, and others; then by the East End Tennis Club, founded and owned by the commercial artist Lauren Cook; and then, beginning in 1950, by the Provincetown Yacht and Tennis Club, also founded by Cook. It has five Har-Tru clay courts and two hard courts. But no more yachts. It’s just the Provincetown Tennis Club. In the ’40s, Jerry Farnsworth used the upstairs loft for art classes. Through the early ’90s, it was the cooperative Provincetown Group Gallery. Today, it is the well-regarded DNA Gallery, founded in 1994 by the artist Nick Lawrence, who also directs Freight + Volume in Manhattan.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.