Grace Gouveia Building
When Henry David Thoreau came to town in the 1840s, he asked how many people were in the Alms House. “Oh, only one or two, infirm or idiotic,” he was told. But by 1870, the number had increased so much that this large Alms House, also known as the Town Asylum, was built. In 1956, it was transformed into a municipal nursing home called Cape End Manor, which lasted 20 years until a new facility was built at 100 Alden Street. This building was converted for use as town offices and renamed the Grace Gouveia Building in honor of Grace (Gouveia) Collinson, a poet, teacher and activist who immigrated from Portugal in 1915 at the age of 6.
Collinson was a beloved elementary school teacher for nearly three decades before becoming an advocate for the elderly and founding the municipal Council on Aging. She died in 1998. Additions to 26 Alden Street were designed by Brown Lindquist Fenuccio & Richmond Architects. • Scrapbooks of Althea Boxell, Book 3, Page 71 • Records of the Overseers of the Poor, 1886-1894 • Historic District Survey (1) • Historic District Survey (2) • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Updated 2012-10-27