This site has been hopping since 1938. For most of those years, it was home to Manuel Cabral’s Bonnie Doone Restaurant and Thistle Cocktail Lounge, a popular gay rendezvous in the 1950s. In 1958, Cabral tore down the neighboring Conant Street School, which had been used for about 25 years as the headquarters of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, to add parking spaces for the restaurant.
The property was completely remodeled by William Dougal and his partner Rick Murray as the Mussel Beach Health Club, which they had opened on Shank Painter Road in 1993. Murray and Dougal, an agent at Pat Shultz Real Estate, also own the Crown & Anchor.