On what is now a parking lot and town landing at 55 Commercial Street stood Western Cold Storage, the westernmost of Provincetown’s cold storage facilities; enormous, industrial-strength fish processing and freezing plants which once lined the waterfront. Only one, the Ice House, survives. The Western was built in 1917 and only operated for a year before shutting down. The town seized the property for non-payment of taxes and tore down the building in 1937, leaving a parking lot in its wake that has been there ever since. The Long Point exhibit at the Pilgrim Monument and Provincetown Museum indicates that a floater house also occupied this site.
Category Archives for Cold storage plants (existing and former)
229 Commercial Street
Former Colonial Cold Storage Company | Indigo Lounge | Jake’s Cape House
This is one of the two great vestiges of the cold storage plants, or “freezers,” that once lined the waterfront and gave it an industrial cast that is almost impossible to imagine today. More pictures and history»
† 363-365 Commercial Street
Provincetown Cold Storage Company
The Provincetown Cold Storage Company complex, at the foot of Johnson Street, was constructed in 1893 by a group of investors led by Dan Frank Small. More pictures and history»
501-503 Commercial Street
Ice House Condominiums (Former Consolidated Weir Company Cold Storage Plant)
Unlovely. Ungainly. Unimaginably large, by local standards. But still, the Ice House embodies one of the more important lessons that architecture has to teach about town history. It is the only one remaining of the seven enormous cold storage plants that once lined the waterfront, giving Provincetown an unmistakably industrial quality that most painters and photographers seemed to have excised from their frames in favor of colorful trap boats and draggers.