212 Bradford Street

East End Market

Even neighborhood grocery stores summon history in Provincetown. The East End Marketplace is a descendant of the Patrician Shop, which was opened in 1949 by Cyril T. Patrick — he of Patrick’s Newsstand — and his wife, Philomena “Phil” (Jason) Patrick, who was also his partner in the Noel Shop. It was, together with Manuel Cabral’s Bonnie Doone (now Mussel Beach) and Basil Santos’s Captain’s Galley (now Michael Shay’s), one of the first big commercial enterprises on Bradford Street.

The Patrician was a general store, but with Eva Perry as cook, its lunch counter gained a reputation as having the best Portuguese soup on Cape Cod, Peter Manso said. After an interim as TeddySea’s Market, it became the East End, under the proprietorship of Gary and Ken. One can still see some vestiges of the past like the Patrician newsrack (visible in the photo below).


14 Center Street

Ruthie’s Boutique

A somber old funeral home on Center Street is joined to a utilitarian commercial structure fronting on Bradford Street to form this odd — but vital — property, now known (at least on paper) as the Center Garden condominium. It’s best known these days as the home of Ruthie’s Boutique, a thrift shop that steadily helps finance the AIDS Support Group of Cape Cod and Helping Our Women, plus other worthy organizations on a rotating basis. The entrance to Ruthie’s is on Bradford. Around the corner, on Center Street, is the house occupied for many years by Capt. Thomas Seabury Taylor, one of the last of Provincetown’s whaling masters. His son, William Wilson Taylor, lived at 7 Center Street. More pictures and history»

† 63 Commercial Street

63 Commercial Street, Provincetown (1973), by Steve Silberman. Courtesy of Steve Silberman. 
63 Commercial Street, Provincetown (±1973), by Steve Silberman. Courtesy of Steve Silberman.The Viewpoint

According to Steve Silberman, whose family vacationed here for 40 years, “The original guest house bore the name the Galley, and then the Viewpoint, and was owned by the cookbook author Hazel Meyer and her partner Alice Bartoli, and then by Donald and Joan Morse, before being bought and torn down by the current owners.” In the 1950s, the Galley Shop was operated at this address by “Cap’ns” Dick Knudson and Jim Flag. More pictures and history»

170 Commercial Street

 
Joe Coffee & Cafe | Bravo!
This plain commercial building, constructed for the First National Bank of Provincetown and designed by Hutchins & French of Boston, replaced the second Centenary Church. It opened in 1950. Twelve years later, the bank began offering drive-in services here. It was known in later years as the Shawmut Bank and TD BankNorth. It now houses the Bravo! mens clothing — though not too much of it — store and Joe Coffee & Cafe, which moved here from 148A Commercial. More pictures and history»

171-173 Commercial Street

 
Forbidden Fruit | Ptown Spin | Dyer’s Beach House Motel
B. H. Dyer & Company, a hardware, houseware and paint store and one of the last surviving old-line businesses, expired three years shy of the 21st century. “Gone are the long, cool aisles where a little of this and a box of that provided almost anything you might need in the way of hardware,” Sue Harrison wrote in a 1997 eulogy in The Banner. Benjamin Huldah Dyer was born in Truro, got into the painting business at the age of 17 and in 1866 moved to Provincetown, where he set up shop, The Banner said. Then he bought a second building and expanded into hardware. He lived at 7 Winthrop Street until his death in 1907. Dyer was succeeded in the business by George F. Miller, whom he had taken on as a clerk. More pictures and history»

179 Commercial Street

Scott Dinsmore Antiques | Jimmy’s Hide Away

Philomena Manta — namesake of the schooner that was the namesake of the famous Charles W. Hawthorne painting in Town Hall — lived here until her death in 1936. This is now Scott Dinsmore Antiques and Jimmy’s Hide Away. It was formerly Szechuan Chinese Restaurant; the Pub Down Under in the mid-1980s, run by Diane J. Corbo and Valerie A. Carrano of the Ravenwood guesthouse at 462 Commercial Street; and Jenny Lind’s. It is a five-unit condominium.

[Updated 2012-01-01]