150 Bradford Street

Far Land Provisions

Far Land Provisions opened in 2003, under a mashup of the last names of Jim Farley and Tom Boland, who was then chairman of the Historic District Commission. Its odd tables and big front porch beckon you to linger. It is cozy, aromatic and temptingly cluttered, and a beacon of life in dark winter months. The building (1952) has long played that role, as the L & A Supermarket — that would be Leo Morris and Arlene Morris — and as Nelson’s Market, originally founded in 1933 at 349 Commercial Street and run by Clarence M. Nelson and his wife, Mabel Nelson. Picture essay and more history »

150 Bradford Street

150 Bradford Street, Nelson's Market, courtesy of Tom Boland (1950s).

150 Bradford Street, Nelson’s Market, courtesy of Tom Boland (1950s).

150 Bradford Street, Far Land Provisions, by David W. Dunlap (2011).

150 Bradford Street, Far Land Provisions, by David W. Dunlap (2011).

150 Bradford Street, Far Land Provisions, by David W. Dunlap (2011).

150 Bradford Street, Far Land Provisions, by David W. Dunlap (2011).

Far Land Provisions opened in 2004; its name combining those of Jim Farley and Tom Boland, who was then chairman of the Historic District Commission. Cozy, aromatic, and temptingly cluttered, it is a beacon of life in winter months. The building, constructed in 1952, has long played that role, as the L & A Supermarket — that would be Leo and Arlene Morris; Nelson’s Market, founded in 1933 at 349 Commercial and run by Clarence and Mabel Nelson; McNulty’s Market, Tim and Pam McNulty; and Bradford’s, Brad McDermott and Charles Pagliuca. As Nelson’s, the store provisioned much of the fishing fleet, delivering directly to the wharf. Its phone number, 45, is preserved as the root of Far Land’s (508) 487-0045.


More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.

151 Bradford Street

151 Bradford Street, by David W. Dunlap (2011).

151 Bradford Street, by David W. Dunlap (2011).

151 Bradford Street, by David W. Dunlap (2011).

151 Bradford Street, by David W. Dunlap (2011).

Study of Capt. Caleb Rich, by Charles Hawthorne.

Study of Capt. Caleb Rich, by Charles Hawthorne.

One of Charles Hawthorne’s Selectmen of Provincetown was Capt. Caleb Lombard Rich, who lived here. Capt. Ferdinand “Fred” Salvador registered the deed on this Second Empire-style house on 15 February 1944, evidently intending it as a birthday present for his wife, Philomena Valentine (Cordeiro) Salvador, who was born on Valentine’s Day. Born in Olhao, Portugal, Salvador was a leading fisherman from the 1920s through the ’70s. With his brother, Louis, who abutted him on 11 Johnson, he operated Shirley & Roland and Stella. He skippered C. R. & M., named for his children, Carol Ann (Salvador) Silva, Richard, and Michael; and Michael Ann, which was still working in 2007 as Chico-Jess. Later owners were responsible for the marvelously unrestrained interior décor.


More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.

151 Bradford Street

Ferdinand R. “Fred” Salvador, a native of Olhao, Portugal, was a leading fisherman from the 1920s through the 70s. With his brother, Louis A. Salvador, who abutted him on 11 Johnson, he operated the Shirley & Roland and the Stella. He also skippered the C. R. & M., named for his children, Carol Ann (Salvador) Silva, Richard Salvador and Michael Salvador; and the Michael Ann, which was still working in 2007 – the oldest wood-hulled boat in the town fleet – as the Chico-Jess. Richard and Michael fished with him, as did his stepson Anthony R. Leonard, of 7 Alden Street. Salvador registered the deed on this house (±1870) on Feb. 15, 1944, evidently intending it as a birthday present for his wife, Philomena Valentine (Cordeiro) Salvador, who was born on Valentine’s Day. ¶ Updated, 2012-10-24

152 Bradford Street

(Former) Gracie House

For almost all of its existence, this sweet Queen Anne-style cottage from the late 19th century was in the hands of the Pine family: Joseph S. Pine in the early 20th century; Mary Rogers Pine, who ran the Rogers Dining Room for 35 years, until her death in 1946; followed by her daughter, Grace I. Pine, who sold cut flowers and potted plants here. More recently, it was the three-room Gracie House bed-and-breakfast, run by Debra Ann Messenbrink and Anna Maria Lutz, who wed in 2004.

152 Bradford Street

152 Bradford Street, by David W. Dunlap (2011).

152 Bradford Street, by David W. Dunlap (2011).

152 Bradford Street, by David W. Dunlap (2008).

152 Bradford Street, by David W. Dunlap (2008).

For almost all of its existence, this sweet Queen Anne-style cottage from the late 19th century was in the hands of the Pine family: Joseph S. Pine in the early 20th century; Mary Rogers Pine, who ran the Rogers Dining Room for 35 years, until her death in 1946; followed by her daughter, Grace Pine, who sold cut flowers and potted plants here. More recently, it was the three-room Gracie House bed-and-breakfast, run by Debra Ann Messenbrink and Anna Maria Lutz.


More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.