Built between 1850 and 1870, according to the Historic District Survey, this 1,800-square-foot house was the home of Mary A. Rogers (b ±1904), a teacher, and Joseph A. Rogers (b ±1897), a taxi operator. The property passed from Mary Rogers in 1977 to her daughter, Evelyn Rogers Gaudiano (b 1931), a 1948 graduate of Provincetown High School, and her husband, Philip Gaudiano (b 1927), of Quincy. The couple were married in 1952. Phyllis A. Allison now owns the property through the Philip and Evelyn Gaudiano Trust, the Assessor’s Online Database notes.
The Grand View Inn, owned and run by Jeffrey Haley and his partner, Gary Vance, is one of those increasingly rare accommodations of modest ambition and moderate price. The property, which runs through to Montello Street, consists of a main house dated by the Historic District Survey as 1870 to 1890, but said by the owners and the Assessor’s Online Database to have been built before the Civil War. Perpendicular to the big house is a smaller cottage with a shed dormer that the Historic District Survey says is from the 1850s. More history and pictures»
A three-story house built between 1850 and 1870, according to the Historic District Survey; owned since 1992 by John Andrisovitz Jr., according to the Assessor’s Online Database. There are two out buildings on the property. This was the home in the 1950s and ’60s of Robert R. Meads (b ±1932), a plumber, and his wife, Pariscovia “Paris” (Pestrikoff) Meads (b ±1933), an Alaskan native whom he met when he was stationed there, in what was then the Territory of Alaska.
With No. 7, a series of remarkably similar houses begins on the east side of Conant Street: gable end to the street, door on the north end of the street front, three window bays on the second floor. It was built between 1870 and 1880, the Historic District Survey says. This was the home in the 1950s of Stanley H. Carter and Helen E. Carter. It remains in the hands of the Carter family, according to the Assessor’s Online Database.
Conant Montello Condominium
Constructed between 1850 and 1870, the Historic District Survey says, this was the home in the 1950s of Mary Gloria (Silva) Cambra (±1874-1954), who was born in Provincetown, spent a decade of her childhood in the Azores and then returned to Cape Cod. It is now a three-unit condo.
For seven decades, beginning in 1943, the Roderick and Colligan families have owned this home; the second in a remarkably cohesive row that begins with 7 Conant. The building was constructed around 1850, according to the Historic District Survey. Arthur J. Roderick (±1906-1967) and Mary P. (Bent) Roderick (±1906-2009) bought the property in 1943, and it passed to their daughter, Yvonne (Roderick) Colligan. Roderick was a trap fisherman for his entire working life, which ended suddenly early one Sunday afternon in November 1967 when he collapsed in a dory while repairing nets in a weir trap in the harbor. He was taken back to his boat, the renowned Charlotte G., which returned him to MacMillan Pier, where Dr. Daniel H. Hiebert pronounced him dead. More pictures and history»
10 Conant Street Condominium
Built around 1870, the Historic District Survey says, 10 Conant is now a two-unit condominium.
11 Conant Condominium
Manuel “Ti Manuel” Furtado (±1880-1945), the proprietor of Furtado’s Boatyard at 99 Commercial Street, was the father of the 20th-century boatbuilding business in Provincetown. Men trained in his shop went on to establish Flyer’s Boatyard and the Taves Boatyard. Born in São Miguel, Furtado arrived in town in 1898 and about 20 years later established a business at the base of Union Wharf that came to be known for its well-crafted light boats. This building, from the 1880s-1890s (according to the Historic District Survey), was Ti Manuel’s home. Its massing and fenestration bear a striking resemblance to the houses at 7 Conant and 9 Conant. More history»
15 Conant Street Condominium
Manuel V. Motta was born into this house on 6 November 1931. His mother was Delphine Motta (b ±1910) and his father was Frank V. Motta (b ±1905), a fisherman. His brothers were Francis J. (b ±1930) and Ronald (b ±1938). As a teenager, Manuel loved baseball and basketball. Just after his 17th birthday, he joined the Army. He attained the rank of corporal and was serving in the field artillery of the First Cavalry Division in Korea. On 9 October 1950, he wrote to his family, by then living on 120 Commercial Street, to let them know everything was fine. Four days later, he was killed in action. It is for Corporal Motta — the first Cape End victim of the Korean War — that the Manuel V. Motta Athletic Field is named. More pictures and history»
Conant Street School | Veterans of Foreign Wars Hall
The Conant Street school was built in 1869 on land purchased by the town from the estate of Abigail and Silas Loomis. For many years, the school system segregated children by grades among the various school houses. As home to the first and second grades, Conant Street was known as the “baby school.” It was later used for the schooling of mentally impaired children, according to an account published in The New Beacon of 11 June 1958, and viewable in Book 2 of the Scrapbooks of Althea Boxell. More history»
17 Conant Street Condominium
Except for the fact that Conant Street is so rich in Portuguese history, it might otherwise seem uncanny that the namesakes of two prominent wartime memorials — Louis Ferreira Square and the Manuel V. Motta Athletic Field — grew up in abutting houses. No. 17 was the home of Seaman First Class Louis Ferreira of the Coast Guard, who died of pneumonia at the naval hospital in Portsmouth, Va., during World War I. His parents were Manuel Ferreira (±1867-1936), a native of São Miguel in the Azores, and Julia (Cabral) Ferreira (d 1926). His name was given to “the Turn” of Commercial Street in the West End. More history»
“The bonus of growing up on Conant Street was the best,” Miriam (Martin) Collinson (b 1942) wrote in the 2010 Provincetown Portuguese Festival Booklet. “It was a real Portuguese neighborhood. Many families had members of different generations living together in the same household.” And that was certainly true at No. 23, which had been purchased in 1903 for $700 by Collinson’s grandparents, Manuel Martin (±1873-1940) and Amelia Martin (±1874-1937), who are pictured at left. Both were born in São Miguel. She came to the United States when she was 17. He arrived in Provincetown when he was 27, where he continued fishing, as he had in the Azores. Amelia, The Advocate reported, was “noted for her skill in needlework and made beautiful lace, quilts, rugs and other handiwork for her home.” More pictures and history»
However changed, Conant Street is still remarkably rich with tradition in the form of multigenerational households. David C. Perry (b 1945), a security officer at the Seamen’s Bank and a retired fisherman, and Shirley (Alexander) Perry (b 1947), a retired [?] clerk and bookkeeper, live in the house occupied by her parents, Warren A. Alexander Jr. (b ±1920), a maintenance man, and Florence Mae (Corea) Alexander (b ±1919). From the 1940s through the 1960s [?], Florence operated Corea’s Beauty Shop at this address.
27 Conant Street Condominium
Seraphine Taves (1874-1948) came to America from São Miguel in 1894, followed a year later by his fiancée, Gloria Bent. In his early years, he fished the Grand Banks, and continued going to sea until he was in his early 60s. The Taves children were Seraphine F. Taves (b ±1921), a fishhandler who owned this property and lived here in the 1950s and ’60s as an adult; Lawrence Taves (b ±1905), a fish buyer who also lived here as an adult; Joseph Taves; Irene (Taves) West (b ±1901), who lived here as an adult; Mary (Taves) Cabral; and Olivia (Taves) Gallinetti (b ±1913), who also lived here well into her adulthood. It was converted into a two-unit condo by David M. Nicolau.
If people could be designated landmarks, surely Joseph Andrews (b 1920), “Joe” to everyone, would qualify for gold status. Though not as well known by outsiders as his former colleague and boss, Francis “Flyer” Santos, Andrews was once among the busiest boatbuilders in Provincetown. His vast knowledge and knife-sharp recall of town history, well into his early 90s, has offered family and friends a vibrant link to what is now a long-lost past.
The “Andrews” story begins — as “Andrade” — on the island of São Miguel, in about 1877. That was when Joe’s father, Jesse Andrade, was born. He arrived in Provincetown at the turn of the century, having been rechristened by anglophone immigration officials. “My father didn’t know how to read or write,” Joe told me in 2010. “They gave him that name.” More pictures and history»
Much like its neighbors except for being raised high on a brick foundation, No. 29 has been in the Meads-Hallaman family for more than 60 years. John “Mayor” Meads (1914-2000), who earned his nickname when his cousin was the fire chief of Provincetown and his nephew was the police chief, bought this house in 1948 and lived here with his wife, Bertha (Souza) Meads (±1917-1989); their son, Richard “Tarts” Meads (±1949-1987) and daughter, Janice (Meads) Hallaman (b 1941). She continues to own the property. John Meads was one half of the Meads Brothers Carpentry and Plumbing business of 12 Atwood Avenue (his brother Jesse was the other) and he also worked at Perry’s Market and the Masthead Cottages. Meads was known for weekly family excursions to Long Point aboard his boat, the Five Gs, named for his grandchildren. More pictures and history»
The Enos family has long owned this property, on which there are several out buildings around the main house, one of them shown above. It was the home of John R. Enos (±1895-1967) and Lena (Bent) Enos (b ±1893). More history»
Dorrance Lincoln ran a painting, decorating and paperhanging business from No. 33 in the late 1930s. John R. Enos (±1895-1967) and Lena (Bent) Enos (b ±1893), who lived at 31 Conant Street, bought this property in 1952 with their daughter, Florence (Enos) Burch (b ±1918), and her husband, Howard W. Burch. The ranch house at 35 Conant was constructed in 1957, according to the Assessor’s Online Database, and occupied by the Burches. The property has been owned since 1975 by Leonard E. Enos, one of the owners of the Old Colony Tap and the Surf Club.
See 7 King’s Way.
John R. Enos (±1895-1967) and Lena (Bent) Enos (b ±1893), who lived at 31 Conant Street, bought this property in 1952 with their daughter, Florence (Enos) Burch (b ±1918), and her husband, Howard W. Burch. The ranch house was constructed in 1957, according to the Assessor’s Online Database, and occupied by the Burches.