4 Conwell Street

Conwell Street Condominium

In the 1960s, this was the home of Albert M. Silva (b ±1924), who fished aboard the Nancy & Debbie. John J. Silva (b 1917) was living here in the early 1980s. It is now a four-unit condo. • Historic District SurveyAssessor’s Online Database (Unit 1) • Assessor’s Online Database (Unit 2) • Assessor’s Online Database (Unit 3) • Assessor’s Online Database (Unit 4) ¶ Posted 2012-11-03

5 Conwell Street

Manuel Henrique Jr. (b ±1922), a fisherman, and his wife, Elizabeth Henrique (b ±1918), lived here in the 1950s. Robert P. Silva bought this property more than a half century ago, in 1963, and still owns it, though he now lives on Dewey Avenue. He and his wife, Carol, raised their children — Amy, Scott and Shawn — in this house. Silva’s tenants include the artist Steve R. Bowersock (b 1971), curator of the Bowersock Gallery at 371-373 Commercial Street, and Michael Senger (b 1961), the director of the gallery. • Historic District Survey, main house • Historic District Survey, cottage • Historic District Survey, shed • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Updated 2014-01-13

6 Conwell Street

 
Salt House Inn

Known through the 2012 season as Dexter’s Inn (after Dexter S. Ross, a cofounder of the Provincetown Business Guild in 1978), this 15-room hotel is scheduled to reopen in 2013 as the Salt House Inn, under the ownership and management of David Bowd, who is otherwise the chief operating officer of André Balazs Properties (the Mercer and Standard High Line hotels in New York and the Chateau Marmont in Hollywood being among their best-known holdings), and his partner, Kevin O’Shea, founding principal of Kevin O’Shea Designs, an interiors firm. O’Shea and Bowd were responsible for the sensitive and sympathetic transformation of the former Martin House restaurant at 157 Commercial Street. More pictures and history»

7 Conwell Street

Outside of a New York City taxi cab, you’re not likely to see a more vivid yellow object in your travels than the house at 7 Conwell Street. It was built around 1850 and owned in the 1950s and ’60s by Anna S. Dutra (±1879-1966), who had come to this country from São Jorge in the Azores when she was 14. It has been owned since 2000 by Alan J. Roth of Washington. • Historic District Survey, main house • Historic District Survey, shed • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2012-11-04

8 Conwell Street

When this house was offered for sale in 2008, a classified advertisement in The Banner stated intriguingly that it “had been in the same family since the 1860s,” that it was built in the early 19th century and that it had “all the amenities that one would expect in an old farmhouse including a circular cellar.” One can, indeed, easily trace some of that provenance. The 1880 Barnstable County atlas shows the property as belonging to a J. Connelly, presumably John Connelly, whose wife was Anne Connelly. More history»

9A Conwell Street

Historically, No. 9A — set off at a short distance from nearby houses on Conwell Street — was linked through a property chain to Fishburn Court and Pearl Street. In 1910, it was owned by the grocer Joseph Crowell. His business, Swett & Crowell, was at 356 Commercial Street (Old Style), the David Conwell wharf. The property belonged to Marie Santos in the 1950s. Since 1981, it’s been owned by Mario Lebert of Perry’s Wine and Liquors at 1 Tremont Street. • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2012-11-04

9 Conwell Street

 
9 Conwell Condominium

Often, a Provincetown taxonomist’s problem is that the same building will have different addresses. Here, the same address has different buildings: a structure from the 1850s-1870s with a fine little front porch, and a more recent annex. It was the home through the 1980s of the large and extended Veara family, from Francis A. Veara Sr. (b 1918) to Patricia Veara (b 1963). More history»

11 Conwell Street

 
The family of Regina and Reginald F. Jason have owned this property for more than a half century. The tracks of the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad once ran by, just a few yards away. Jason (b 1919) was the son of Manuel Philip Jason, one of Provincetown’s celebrated barbers. He married Regina Andraschko (b 1923) of Wisconsin in 1943. Jason owned a trucking business. In the early 1980s, Renald R. Jason (b 1955) and Regan C. Jason (b 1960) also lived here. They, too, were truck drivers. More history»

21 Conwell Street

 
Conwell Hardware and Lumber

As long as you don’t think history has to be quaint, you can appreciate why Conwell Lumber is actually a very historical property, indeed. Its nature, size, evolution, layout and orientation recall the period from the 1870s through the 1950s when Provincetown received its freight by railroad from up-Cape, Boston and beyond. This site is integrally related to the development and decline of railroading in coastal Massachusetts, from the early Cape Cod Central Railroad to the Old Colony Railroad to the Old Colony Division of the New York, New Haven & Hartford. It has also been providing the town with lumber, hardware and other construction and household essentials since 1945, first as the Higgins Lumber Company — which grew up on the waterfront in the days of lumber schooners — and then as the Craig Lumber Company. But first: about that gentleman in the photograph. More pictures and history»

24 Conwell Street

 
To put it bluntly, Provincetown is awfully monochromatic. Until recent years, and the arrival in big numbers of seasonal workers from Jamaica on H-2B visas, the town’s much-celebrated diversity seemed to have existed in almost every way but racially. Yet there have always been notable exceptions to the preponderance of Europeans and Yankees; among them the Roach family of 24 Conwell Street. Douglas Bryan Roach (1909-1938), by far the best known family member, volunteered in his late 20s to join the fight against Fascism with the Abraham Lincoln Brigade in the Spanish Civil War. During the battle for Brunete in 1937, a piece of shrapnel tore a large wound in Roach’s shoulder from which he never fully recovered, though he managed to get back to the States. He died 13 July 1938 at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York from a pneumonia he couldn’t fight. Roach received hero’s funerals both in Harlem and here in town, where he is buried with other family members. More pictures and history»

24 Conwell Street

24 Conwell Street, the Roach family burial plot abuts Town Cemetery, by David W. Dunlap (2014).

24 Conwell Street, the Roach family burial plot abuts Town Cemetery, by David W. Dunlap (2014).

Alexander S. Roach.

Alexander S. Roach.

Edward S. Roach.

Edward S. Roach.

Ethel Roach.

Ethel Roach.

On the rise behind the Roach family’s cottage colony is the family burial plot, abutting Town Cemetery. Douglas Bryan Roach, “Who Died That Democracy May Live,” was gravely wounded fighting with the Abraham Lincoln Brigade in the Spanish Civil War. He expired in New York in 1938 and was given a hero’s funeral in Harlem and here. His brother, John Nathan, also fought in Spain, Peter Manso said, and was blinded. He later managed the cottages, on property purchased in 1899 by Alexander Roach, of St. Vincent, and Margaret Bryant Roach. Their daughter, Ethel, graduated from Provincetown High School in 1929. Edward Stillman served in World War II. In the late ’40s, he raised a lonely voice against minstrel shows in town. Alexander Sherman also fought in the war. (The student photos are from the 1929, 1933 and 1935 Long Pointer year books, courtesy of the Provincetown History Preservation Project.)


More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.

26 Conwell Street

Conwell Garden Condominium

Alice Dunham’s Home-Cooked Food — specializing in pies and cakes and sundaes, and open until midnight — did business here in the early 1950s, succeeded by William Pierce, who was both a cemetery commissioner and an authorized representative of F. Barnicoat & Sons of Quincy, makers of granite memorials. Synergy! This is now a four-unit condo. • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 1 • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 2 • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 3 • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 4 ¶ Posted 2012-11-08

27A Conwell Street

 
One of the first projects undertaken in 1996 by Edward “Ted” Malone (b 1954), the founder and president of Community Housing Resource (see 34-36 Conwell), was the rehabilitation of the Flamingo Bay guest house and other properties at 27 Conwell, together with new contruction. He split No. 27 into two lots: rental (A) and condo (B). The rental property had the affordable units that allowed Malone to take advantage of low-cost financing. The project was completed in 1997. • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2012-11-12

27B Conwell Street

27B Conwell Condominium

This is the other half of the first project by Edward “Ted” Malone and his Community Housing Resource company (see 34-36 Conwell): a condo with four residential units and accessory artist studios, designed by [Architect?] and completed in 1997. The photographer Paul Cezanne (b 1960), lives at No. 27B and — as if to derail an impending joke that he’s heard one too many times — he can be found on the Web through the U.R.L. “not the dead Paul Cezanne.” More pictures and history»

29 Conwell Street

 
Maryrose House

We’re entering Roderick territory. This large family — Rodrigo in Portuguese — has many branches in town. The house, built in 1948, was home to Charles J. Roderick (1925-2008), a carpenter, and his wife, Mary E. Roderick (b ±1928). Charles was the son of John Jason Roderick Jr. (1894-1955) and Rose E. (Nunes) Roderick (1888-1975). Rob Jason (b 1963), who has owned the property since 2003, gave it the lovely name of Maryrose. More history»

31 Conwell Street

This wonderfully odd house seems to have a dune shack quality about it. That’s perfectly fitting since this was the in-town home of one of the most celebrated of the dune dwellers: Jeanne “Frenchie” Chanel (1901-1983), a chanteuse, naïf, “mystic, spiritualist, part bird, part creature of the unknown instincts man has lost,” as Josephine Del Deo described her. Del Deo and her husband, Salvatore, have long used Frenchie’s Shack by arrangement with her daughter, Adrienne Schnell (b 1924). Schnell purchased 31 Conwell in 1973. It is owned today by the Adrienne Schnell Life Estate. • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2012-11-14

† 32 Conwell Street

 
A&P

To this day, you may occasionally hear an old-timer refer to the supermarket on Shank Painter Road as the “A&P.” It’s a habit that dies hard because the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company stores were interwoven with Provincetown life in the 20th century, as they were in towns across America. This particular A&P was Provincetown’s first true supermarket when it opened in 1958. The new development on the site, shown superimposed on the plan below, recalls the past in its name: Old Ann Page Way. That was a famous A&P house brand in the day. More pictures and history»

34-36 Conwell Street

 
34-36 Conwell Condominium | HOW (Helping Our Women)

If neighborhoods were still named after the people who’d influenced their development (see “Bangsville“), upper Conwell Street might well be known as Maloneville. For it is here that the developer Edward “Ted” Malone (b 1954), the founder and president of Community Housing Resource Inc., has had his greatest impact. Since 1997, his company has completed five projects along Conwell with a total of 53 housing units — rental and condominium — and more than a dozen artists’ studios. That is almost half of all the housing units developed through 2012 by C.H.R., a private, for-profit company whose stated mission is “to provide affordable housing opportunities for year-round residents of Cape Cod.” Since there is no more vexing or critical an issue in Provincetown today than the economics of housing, Malone has necessarily been at the center — sometimes the crosshairs — of public debate. More pictures and history»

37 Conwell Street

Much larger than it appears from Conwell Street, the Roderick family compound extends more than 600 feet and embraces three main houses, each a condominium unit itself. Closest to the road is Unit 3, pictured, owned by Paul D. Roderick (b 1963), a laborer; midway along the property, Unit 2 is owned by Keith A. Roderick (b 1959), a courier, and his wife, Karen A. Roderick (b 1960), an insurance broker; and Unit 1, at the farthest end of the property, is owned by Dolores C. Roderick (b 1933), and her son [?], Christopher N. Roderick (b 1966), a laborer. • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 1 • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 2 • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 3 ¶ Posted 2012-11-14

38 Conwell Street

Yardarm Liquors

The sun is always over the yardarm somewhere in the world. In Provincetown, it’s at 38 Conwell. Yardarm Liquors was incorporated in 1957 and run for many years by Jeanne M. Gainey (1929-2011) of Truro. Her son, John Gainey, was a part owners for a couple of decades before assuming full control in the late ’90s, after which he also purchased the Truro Package Store on Route 6 from the Duarte family, renaming it the Pamet Valley Package Store. (Kaimi Lum, “Package Store Sale Is Big News in Pamet Valley,” The Banner, 21 September 2000.) • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2012-11-14

42 Conwell Street

Blue’s Quick Stop

This gas station and convenience store was known as Rod’s Getty in the 1970s, when the property was owned by Warren J. Roderick and his wife, Marjorie A. Roderick. They sold in 1980 to Alfred J. Silva and his wife, Doris C. Silva, who continues to own the property, through the Rods Realty Trust. In the early 2000s, it was an EZ Mart. • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2012-11-15