3 Cook Street

 
This elegant house, a boxy Federal form with Greek Revival detailing, was constructed around 1840. It came to life again in 1977 when it was opened as the Asheton House by James Asheton Bayard (1922-2005) and his partner, Les Schaufler (1922-1985). Bayard had been an advertising executive, starting out after his service in the Navy during World War II at one of the most Mad Men of the Madison Avenue shops: Young & Rubicam. He and Schaufler lived in Newtown, Conn., in the 1960s and ’70s, where they restored an 18th-century farmhouse. They next turned their attention to 3 Cook Street, which Bayard purchased in 1977 from Helen M. McCaffrey, who had owned the house with her husband, William J. McCaffrey, at least since the 1940s. McCaffrey served as the town clerk and as a selectman. He also offered violin lessons at 3 Cook Street. More pictures and history»

5 Cook Street

 
Pretty as a postcard, 5 Cook Street was in the left foreground of one of the more popular views of Provincetown in the early 20th century: a vista straight down Cook Street toward the harbor. There were several versions of the view, enhanced by the retouching artists at the postcard company. One shows the street empty. Another, pictured in this entry, shows the street peopled. A third also shows people, but they are about the height of the fence pickets. Perhaps the retoucher was sick on the day perspective was taught in art school. More pictures and history»

6A Cook Street

6A Cook Street Condominium (Rose Cottage)

Standing on a short, nameless cul-de-sac perpendicular to Cook Street, this house from the 1850s was given the number 6A. It was owned in the early 20th century by Prince J. Freeman, then by Frank Rose and his wife, then by their daughter Alma May Rose, a teacher in the Belmont public school system, and her husband, M. Francis Driscoll, a poultry dealer. The house was rented in the summer of 1948 to Louis Slobodkin (1903-1975), a sculptor and an illustrator of children’s books like The Moffats, The Hundred Dresses, The Spaceship Under the Apple Tree and Many Moons, written by James Thurber, for which he won the 1944 Caldecott Medal. More pictures and history»

7 Cook Street

 
Inn at Cook Street | 7 Cook Street Condominium

Another ornament on an especially lovely street, No. 7 was constructed around 1836. W. B. Lewis owned the property in the early 20th century, succeeded in time by Neil G. Nickerson, who also owned the abutting 5 Cook in the mid-50s. It was the home in the early 1980s of the fisherman Carlton Emond (b 1937). The current proprietors are Lisa Feistel and Doreen Birdsell, who followed Paul Church and Dana Mitton. Kim Grant had warm words in the Explorer’s Guide of 2003, saying that the four rooms and two suites were “all very tasteful and highly recommended. Pick your room based on its sleigh bed (Gable), how much sun it gets (the Hobbit suite is very bright), or its deck access.” More pictures and history»

8 Cook Street

The artist and cartoonist Mischa Richter and his family are strongly associated with Provincetown. His last house, 457 Commercial Street, is well known. He also lived at 6 Cook Street and, in the late 1950s, built this structure as a studio. In 1978, he sold the property to Aurelius Battaglia (1910-1984), an illustrator, muralist, writer and director who worked on the animated features Dumbo, Fantasia and Pinocchio for Walt Disney. He also illustrated such children’s book as Cowboy Jack, the Sheriff, Little Boy With a Big Horn and Captain Kangaroo’s Read-Aloud Book. (Fascinating that two prominent illustrators of children’s books, Battaglia and Louis Slobodkin, should have been so close on Cook Street, though at different times.) Thomas Porcher Ravenel and John J. Crickett have owned this property since 2011. • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2012-11-17