At least as far back as the 1950s, Franklin J. Oliver (1918-1982) and Hilda V. Oliver (1922-2004) made their home here. They were married in ±1936. Oliver, a deputy chief in the Provincetown Fire Department, died 19 November 1982 while fighting a suspicious fire in a bakery, when he was struck over the head by an air pack. Mrs. Oliver, who had worked at the Colonial Inn and at the Cape Colony Inn, sold the property in 1996 to Edward “Ted” Chapin (b 1950) and his partner, Torrence Boone. They subsequently acquired and renovated 6 Pearl Street, but Chapin maintains an art gallery, Gallery4Pearl, on the ground floor of this house, which was constructed in the mid-19th century. More pictures and history»
An almost urban density gives downtown Provincetown a lot of its character. But even here, there are few houses that look as jammed into a lot as 5 Pearl Street, only inches away from the rear of the Somerset House Inn, 378 Commercial Street. The relationship between the buildings, however, is neither accidental nor haphazard. This was once the home of Dr. Ella Freeman (Kendrick) Birge (b 1857), a physician, and her husband, Dr. William Spafard Birge (b 1857), also a physician. And they ran the Ocean View Sanatorium, which is what the Somerset House used to be. Their granddaughter, Amy Spafard Birge (1907-2000), married the renowned Provincetown artist Bruce McKain (1900-1990), and lived here almost all her life. (His painting, Gray Day, from the collection of Helen and Napi Van Dereck, is shown below.)
“I just think of myself as part of this continuum, starting with this little fish shack,” Edward (Ted) Chapin (b 1950) said in 2003, after his renovation of 6 Pearl Street changed the building envelope significantly for the fourth time in its 120-year history. Chapin explained to Life in Provincetown magazine that the building had begun as a gable-roofed fish shack. In the first big change, a kitchen angle expanded the house. The second big change was the addition of a gambrel roof. The third big change came with the construction of a porch. His renovation, however, was the most dramatic. “Basically, the only constraints were the three antique walls and the shape,” he said. “Everything else is completely reconceived.” The extra floor area that Chapin added to 6 Pearl was subtracted from the workshop and garage at 6B Pearl that he and his partner, Torrence C. Boone, also purchased in 2000 from the Souza family.
The Historic District Survey dates this house to the early 1800s. Capt. Peter J. Cabral (b 1963), now the skipper of the Terra Nova, lived here in the 1980s with his wife [?], Deborah A. Cabral (b 1952), and his mother [?], Anna C. Cabral (b 1922). It was purchased from the Cabrals in 2001 by Gary M. Marotta, the proprietor of the Gary Marotta Fine Art gallery at 162 Commercial Street. • Historic District Survey, main house • Historic District Survey, shed • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-06-01
The workshop and former garage that comes with the 6 Pearl Street property was built in the early to mid-20th century, according to the Historic District Survey. Edward “Ted” Chapin and Torrence C. Boone purchased it in 2000 from the Souza family. By tearing down the small ell in the front of the structure, as pictured below (before and after), they were able to add floor area to the main house. And it enabled them to create an open yard with a small koi pond. “It just worked a lot better sculpturally,” Chapin told Life in Provincetown magazine in 2003. • Historic District Survey • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-06-01 More pictures»
Seaside Apartments Condominium
The adjoining one- and two-story structures were built in 1940, according to the Historic District Survey. They were converted into a two-unit condominium 1994. • Historic District Survey, two-story house • Historic District Survey, one-story house • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 13 • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 14 ¶ Posted 2013-06-02
Capt. Henrique DeJesus “Henry” Duarte (1921-2006) grew up in Portugal, where he earned his livelihood as a dory fisherman. Shortly after World War II, when he was in his mid-20s, he came to Provincetown to join the fishing fleet, under the sponsorship of his uncle, Arthur Duarte. By 1948, he had earned enough to pay for passage for his wife, Maria DeGuia (Barros) Duarte (b 1921), and their five children. His own boat, the dragger Charlotte G. (pictured), was launched in 1952 — that makes two of us — in East Blue Hill, Me. His crew in the early 1950s included Manuel Henrique, Anthony Jackett, Frederick Roche and Paulino Urtiago. Henry and Maria had three more children after the family reunited in Provincetown. More pictures and history»
The house was built in the mid-19th century. Joseph J. Farroba (1928-2000), a meat cutter, and his wife, Lillian L. Farroba (b 1930), purchased it in 1966 from Clifford Silva and his wife. Almost a half century later, it’s still in the Farroba family. • Historic District Survey (1) • Historic District Survey (2) • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-06-02
Formerly home to Edward J. Riley (b 1913), a maintenance worker, and his wife, Mary E. Riley (b 1915), this handsomely restored mid-19th-century house is now part of a three-unit condo, created in 2006, so it is no longer home to anybody year-round. The owners live in Chelsea, Ma.; South Windsor, Conn.; and Cardiff by the Sea, Calif. • Historic District Survey, main house • Historic District Survey, cottage • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit A • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit B • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit C ¶ Posted 2013-06-02
The main house at No. 11, which dates to the mid-19th century, was the once the home of Clarence Leonard Burch (1875-1957) and his wife, Dorothy “Dolly” (MacKenzie) Burch (1877-1941), of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. In 1904, Burch opened a food market at 467 Commercial Street called Burch’s Market.
Dolly’s nephew Duncan B. Bryant worked for Uncle Clarence at Burch’s. In 1945, Duncan bought out the Burch interest and renamed the store Bryant’s Market. (George Bryant was Duncan’s son.) The grocery store is still in business, now run by Liz Lovati under the name Angel Foods.
Like many homeowners, the Burches ran a side business for roomers at their house, so it has a long history as an accommodation of one kind or another.
John Gair and Paula Post operated it as the Black Pearl Bed and Breakfast until 2001, when they transferred the license to Michael P. Clifford. He changed the name of the place to the Drake Inn.
Guy Plourde-Vargas and his husband, Luis Vargas-Plourde, acquired the property in 2003 and the license in 2004. They changed the name back to the Black Pearl, which they ran in association with 18 Pearl Street. They painted both guest houses in an eye-popping vermillion, accented with white trim. You could easily spot the buildings from the top of the Pilgrim Monument.
Plourde sold 11 Pearl in 2013 and it was renamed the Atlantic Light Inn — a business that no longer included No. 18. It was run by Steven Benjamin and Joe Depippo, who repainted the building white. (Lucy Siegel became the owner of 18 Pearl Street in December 2017 and restored it to a single-family home.)
¶ Last updated on 12 August 2019.
An Italianate house with a hipped roof, 12 Pearl Street dates to the 1850s. Capt. David Dutra (b 1945), owner and skipper of the Richard & Arnold, grew up in this house, as David Souza. His father was Capt. David Souza and his mother was Julianna (Diogo) Souza. Captain Souza died a year after his son was born, in 1947. Three years later, Julianna was re-married, to Herman Dutra, the foreman at Duarte Motors. Young David took his stepfather’s name. • Historic District Survey, main house • Historic District Survey, cottage • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-06-02
17 Pearl Street Condominium
Not in some raging Grand Banks storm aboard the schooner Mary P. Goulart, but “on a sea as calm as a mill pond,” aboard the dragger Amelia R., John Ferreira (±1887-1937) died suddenly at the age of 50. Ferreira had been born in São Miguel, the Azores, and was described by The Provincetown Advocate at the time of his death as “one of the veterans of the fishing fleet.” Among his survivors were his wife, Mary C. Ferreira (±1884-1953). Her children — Ferreira’s stepchildren — included Joseph L. Cordeiro, James J. Cordeiro and Mary C. Cordeiro. More history»
18 Pearl Street. Courtesy of Lucy B. Siegel.
While the term “captain’s house” may conjure something tall, white, and porticoed overlooking the harbor, there are plenty of ship masters’ homes tucked quietly away upland. Capt. John Bell, the master of the schooner Antarctic, purchased this property in 1872. Town records suggests the house was built in the 1850s.
On 31 October 1883, while domiciled here, Captain Bell and his crew departed on a nine-and-a-half-month voyage across the Atlantic in search of sperm whales. We’re lucky to have a day-by-day journal of that trip, recorded by George S. Johnson, and digitized by the University of Delaware Library.¹ In it, Antarctic first encountered whales on her 10th day at sea, at a point roughly 730 miles south of the Cape.
A page from the log of the schooner Antarctic, whose master, Capt. John Bell, lived at 18 Pearl Street in the late 19th century. Special Collections, University of Delaware Library, MSS 097, Item 044.
Title to 18 Pearl passed in 1911 to the captain’s daughter, Angie Bell, a practical nurse, housekeeper, and baker. She sold the house in 1941 to Oakley Austin Spingler (1908-2003) and his wife, Zilpha Bell (Nelson) Spingler (1916-1988). Miss Bell lived until 1953.
Zilpha, a Provincetown native, had married Oakley, from Newport, R.I., in 1937. He was a Gulf Oil dealer, an officer of the Highland Fish and Game Club (president, from 1947 to 1949), and an artist whose watercolor of a railroad crossing is part of the town collection. During the early years of the Cold War, he also served as an air-raid warden.
Oakley Austin Spingler painted this watercolor of a railroad crossing. Provincetown History Preservation Project, Page 1710.
For $7,000 (about $65,000 in 2019 dollars), the Spinglers sold the property in 1955 to the fisherman Francis J. “Barshie” Santos (1925-1988) — not to be confused with the boatbuilder Francis “Flyer” Santos — and his wife, Veronica M. Santos.
Jacqueline D. “Jackie” Kelly and Karen L. Harding bought 18 Pearl from Mrs. Santos in 1982, for $53,000 (about $145,000), and opened the Greenhouse guest house.
As the house appeared in 2012, when it served as the annex to the Black Pearl Inn at 11 Pearl Street. Photo by David W. Dunlap.
It became the Irving House under the proprietorship of John P. Ransom Jr. and Michael F. Beattie, who purchased the property in 1993 for $175,000, roughly $310,000; accounting for inflation. They sold it in 2004 for $677,500 (or about $920,000) to Guy Plourde-Vargas, proprietor of the nearby Black Pearl Inn, who turned 18 Pearl into an annex of the main guest house, and painted it an eye-popping vermillion, to match 11 Pearl Street.
Lucy B. Siegel of Manhattan acquired No. 18 from Plourde in 2017. She paid $875,000, and returned the property to use as a single-family home.
¶ Last updated on 16 August 2019.
¹ Journal of a Whaling Voiage in the Atlantic Ocean on Board Schr Antarctic, by George S. Johnson, 1881-1884. Special Collections, University of Delaware Library, MSS 097, Item 044.
Edward Doty arrived in Provincetown in 1620, signed the Compact and then was off with the rest of the Mayflower complement to Plymouth. Three hundred and seventy years later, his descendant, the poet Mark Doty (b 1953), arrived in Provincetown with his partner, Wally Roberts (1951-1994), a year after Roberts had tested positive for H.I.V. They were then living in Vermont, but it did not take them long to decide to move here. “Weary of the deep snow of Vermont, as well as its icy emotional weather, we found ourselves smitten with the coastal clutter of boarded shops and clapboard houses along the curve of the bay,” Doty wrote in Heaven’s Coast (1996). The next year, they bought this house; the first one they saw, though they looked at many others before visiting this on their own — without the real-estate broker — when they discovered a forgotten fireplace, papered over and hidden by a bureau, in an upstairs bedroom. “It was then that we fell in love,” Doty wrote, “and the making of home again began to be a project and a refuge.” More pictures and history»
On a street full of art and artists, the painter Jane Kogan (b 1939) makes her home in a property she’s owned since 1979. [A profile appears on the Provincetown Artist Registry.] That’s her work, Corner of Baker and Pearl, from 1983, at right, showing 1 Baker Avenue. Kogan is a familiar face downtown as the manager of the Provincetown Bookshop, 246 Commercial Street. She holds a B.A. from Brandeis and an M.F.A. from Columbia. She won a Fulbright scholarship in 1961 and, seven years later, was in the second cohort of visual arts fellows at the Fine Arts Work Center. That was when she moved to Provincetown. More history»
22 Pearl Street Condominium | Former Aho’s Guest House
John Waters spent his first full Provincetown summer, in 1966, here at Aho’s Guest House, with Mona Montgomery and Mary Vivian Pearce, the stars of Hag in a Black Leather Jacket (1964), one of his earliest movies. “The landlady said we could never have a visitor,” Waters recalled in an interview with Gerald Peary for Provincetown Arts. “What? We’re 20 years old, and thought she was kidding. The first day, we had someone over, and the landlady came in screaming. God, our guest wasn’t staying there or anything! Rather strict!” More pictures and history»
As a teacher, Charles Hawthorne is given much credit for the emergent art colony. As a landlord, Frank A. Days from the Azores isn’t given credit enough, for providing the low-cost spaces that made it possible. In 1914, he and his sons built studios atop the lumber bins at the F. A. Days & Sons yard. The windows faced close to true north. Early tenants included Ross Moffett, Edwin Dickinson, Charles Kaeselau, and Hawthorne. In the 1950s, Joseph Oliver shored up the studios, installed heating and toilets, and raised the annual rents from $60 to $250. Oliver sold the property in 1972 to the Fine Arts Work Center, at 135 Bradford. It was founded by Josephine and Sal Del Deo, Alan Dugan, Stanley Kunitz (the common room bears his name), Philip Malicoat, Robert Motherwell, Myron Stout, Jack Tworkov, Hudson D. Walker (the gallery bears his name), and Ione (Gaul) Walker.
Other key figures were Richard Florsheim, Jim Forsberg, Ruth Hiebert, Mary Oliver, and Judith Shahn. “They believed that if they provided younger artists with a place to live, a studio to work in, and a little money in their pocket, they could attract a new generation,” said Hunter O’Hanian, a former executive director.
Among 800 or so fellows are Keith Althaus, Susan Baker, Paul Bowen, Molly Malone Cook, Michael Cunningham, Bill Evaul, Bill Fitts, Nick Flynn, Martha Fowlkes, Cynthia Huntington, Michael Klein, Jane Kogan, Jhumpa Lahiri, Sharli Powers Land, Susan Lyman, Peter Macara, Conrad Malicoat, Jim Peters, Heidi Jon Schmidt, Roger Skillings, Joan Wye, and Bert Yarborough. The coal shed was turned into a common room, designed by Michael Prodanou, in 1988. O’Hanian oversaw the connection of the north and south wings in 2004 with a two-story addition designed by Prodanou. Margaret Murphy presided over the reconstruction in 2009-2010 of the studios, which were jacked up and suspended while new offices were built below.
The “barn” was probably a storehouse used by Stephen Cook, whose wharf was at the foot of Pearl Street. Oliver rented it to Peter Busa and, in 1961 and 1962, to Motherwell and Helen Frankenthaler, who were then married. A picture of them posed in the open loft doors is an indelible image of the art colony.
More than 2,000 buildings and vessels are searchable on buildingprovincetown.com. The Building Provincetown book is available for purchase ($20) at Town Hall, Office of the Town Clerk, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown 02657.
As a teacher, Charles W. Hawthorne is given much credit for Provincetown’s emergence as an art colony. As a landlord, Frank A. Days Jr. (1849-1937) isn’t given credit enough. The low-cost artist studios he and his successors furnished here and on Brewster Street ensured that many people were able to study and practice in Provincetown who otherwise could not have afforded to live here. Azorean by birth, Days arrived in Provincetown at the age of 18. In 1911, he bought a large parcel on Pearl Street and established a contracting and construction supply company — F. A. Days & Sons — with Frank A. Days Jr. (1877-1961) and Joseph A. Days. In 1914, Days constructed artists’ studios atop the lumber houses on the south side of the lumberyard and began renting them, first to Ross Moffett and Henry Sutter; soon thereafter to Hawthorne, Edwin Dickinson and Charles Kaeselau. These studios, renovated most recently in 2010, now form the historical core of the Fine Arts Work Center campus.
Eva M. Francis (b 1899) lived in this house, constructed in the mid-19th century, beginning in 1954, when she and her husband, Raymond Y. Francis (1903-1976), an employee of the Water Department, bought it from S. Osborn Ball. Listed in the annual residents roster as a “housewife,” Mrs. Francis took on such vital volunteer tasks as transforming 100 pounds of old sheets and pillow cases at a time into bed pads for use at the Cape End Manor. She sold the property in 1981 to the artist Peter B. Coes (b 1946) and his wife, Linda L. Coes (b 1945). Among Coes’s paintings is Rapunsel, set in the tower of the Lancy house at 230 Commercial Street. The Coes family sold the house in 1999 and moved to Cummaquid. • Historic District Survey • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-06-09
Since 2011, this has been owned by Anne Stott (b 1970), a singer, street performer, poet, writer and (as of 2012) the host of Word on the Street on Provincetown Community Television, in which buskers join Stott to talk about their experiences and to perform. The house was constructed in the 1850s and owned for many years by the Pimental family. • Historic District Survey, main house • Historic District Survey, shed • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-06-09
A 1920s Craftsman-style bungalow is the perfect lily to gild with such bright accents. It’s an ever-so-startling little gem. The owner since 2001 has been Laura “L. A.” Teodosio, a software designer and film producer. Her credits include Who’s the Top?, directed by Jennie Livingston. She rents the house through HomeAway. • Historic District Survey, main house • Historic District Survey, shed • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-06-09
This plainly handsome house from the 1850s was purchased in 1928 by John F. Crave (b ±1895), a fisherman, and his wife, Emma F. Crave (b 1891). Among the children they raised here were John F. Crave Jr. (1926-2010), the proprietor of Crave’s Frames at 509 Commercial Street; Isadore F. Crave (b 1929); and the twins Francelina Clara and Frances Caroline Crave (b 1933). The elder Crave ended up back in Figueira da Foz, Portugal. Mrs. Crave lived here through the 1980s. It’s changed hands four times since then and is now owned by Steven C. Nason and Paul E. Glover of Cambridge. • Historic District Survey • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-06-09
Social history was made in 1983 at 31 Pearl Street, after Anthony Lema Jr. sold his parents’ property, a house dating to the mid-19th century, to Helen G. Caddie-Larcenia (then known as Helen G. Brown), the co-owner of the Aspasia Guesthouse at 98 Bradford Street. After moving to 31 Pearl, the Aspasia increasingly began attracting “large contingents of women of color,” Karen Christel Krahulik wrote in Provincetown: From Pilgrim Landing to Gay Resort (2005), including the writer and critic Barbara Smith, who had founded the Kitchen Table: Women of Color Press in 1980 with Audre Lord and others. More pictures and history»
Many things come to restaurateurs’ lips when their patrons tell them they can’t afford to pay. Most, however, do not say, “Damn it to hell, you don’t need any money to eat in my place.” But that is just what Nellie Marshall Barnes (±1874-1937) told the starving young artists who were among her favorite customers, as were fishermen and boatmen. Though her restaurant and boarding house was a bit of a hike from the piers, it was just a tumble out of the lumber loft for the artists who were working in their studios at F. A. Days & Sons, 24 Pearl Street, or a quick scramble through a couple of back yards — at least one with a hen house — for those at 4 Brewster Street. “She thought artists were wonderful and Charles Hawthorne was god,” Nat Halper wrote for The Provincetown Advocate in 1952. Hawthorne returned the favor by painting Barnes’s portrait in 1919, shown at left in a poor newspaper reproduction. (It is in the collection of the University of Minnesota.) More pictures and history»
This beautifully situated and relatively intact full Cape was constructed in the early 19th century. “Located well away from the waterfront, this property likely served as a small farmstead,” Tom Boland wrote in the Historic District Survey. At the turn of the 20th century, Boland noted, the house belonged to George O. Knowles, namesake of the wharf at 381-383 Commercial Street, at the foot of Pearl Street. What has almost undoubtedly accounted for its fine state of preservation since then is its ownership by a single family, the Bakers, since 1926. More pictures and history»
Ding dong. For more than four decades, when Avon has called in Provincetown, it has been in the person of Faith M. (Perry) Henrique (b 1927), who has lived in this house for nearly 80 years. A room full of Avon’s awards for her hard work — plates, cups, and porcelain Mrs. Albee dolls — is testament to her devotion, still evident when we met in 2013. “When my mother became an Avon representative, I helped her make deliveries,” she said. “Then, I continued as the Avon Lady when she became unable, due to age.” What she liked about the job, Mrs. Henrique said, was that she was giving her neighbors a chance to buy things they could not otherwise afford, like bottles of nail polish for 50 cents, instead of $1.25.
34B Pearl Street Condominium
This three-building complex sits in the middle of the small private cul-de-sac that doglegs off Pearl Street. It is anchored by a large, gambrel-roofed house that was for many years the home of Manuel V. Raymond (b 1893), a carpenter who was especially active in the Veterans of Foreign Wars, and his wife, Marion V. Raymond (b 1905), who was a perennial leader in the March of Dimes campaigns against polio. More history and pictures»
Jesse A. Swett (±1878-1952) and his wife, Lillian May (Ferreira) Swett, bought this mid-19th-century house in the early 1920s. Swett, a Provincetown native, worked for 20 years as the “popular” custodian of Provincetown High School, The Advocate noted in his obituary. After a half century of ownership, the family sold the property in 1974. • Historic District Survey • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-06-16
Looking for cradle-to-grave service? You’re in the right place. At least, you would have been in the early 1930s, when 36 Pearl Street was the home simultaneously to a modest lying-in hospital run by Mary Louise (Enos) Fish (±1873-1953), and to Joseph C. Nunes, funeral director, who offered $125 funerals, complete with a LaSalle sedan and a “lady assistant.” No. 36 was also the home, through the late 1940s, of Mary Fish’s sister, Elizabeth (Enos) Rose (d 1948), and Elizabeth’s husband, John Anthony Rose (±1868-1947), a retired fisherman and towboat crewman from Boston. More history»
After Baltimore, Provincetown is probably the community with which John Waters is most closely associated. And Waters himself spends summers here. But only one member of his old Dreamland troupe actually settled in Provincetown for the long haul following the crazy years of the 60s. That was — and is — Channing Wilroy (b 1940), who has owned a cottage colony at the end of the Pearl Street cul-de-sac since at least 1984. The grounds are landscaped with more than a touch of whimsy: a traffic light, a little windmill, old traffic signs. There is some poetic justice to all this, since the proprietor of the cottages in the late 1960s, Carl Feldman, made it clear that eccentricity wasn’t tolerated at 36A Pearl. “No hippies or beatniks desired,” he said in a 1967 ad in The Advocate for a “knotty-pine-panelled cabin situated in a gay, natural setting.” More pictures and history»
This house, from the later 19th century, has been home to the Davis family for many decades. Helen M. Davis (b ±1920), who had rented apartments at this house in the 1950s, was a reporter for The Provincetown Advocate in the 1960s. She was also active in the Long Point Business and Professional Women’s Club, founded in 1961. Her husband, Beaty V. Davis (b ±1918), was a carpenter. • Historic District Survey, main house • Historic District Survey, out building (barn) • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-06-20
Ciro & Sal’s, 4 Kiley Court, might have been called Larry & Charles’s in recent years, after two of the three brothers who have long been involved in the operation and management of the restaurant. Charles P. Luster (b 1956), who started working there in the 1970s, began cooking in the 2000s after many years as a waiter. He and his wife, Audrey C. Luster (b 1952), a clerk, bought this property in 1989. The house was constructed in the early 20th century. • Historic District Survey • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-06-20
Young Frank Henrique (1925-2006), who won and kept little Faith Perry’s heart by tapping her lightly through the hedgerow every day (see 34A Pearl Street), grew up in this house with a very large family indeed. Pauline Henrique (b ±1901), who herself had come from Portugal, bore eight other children by Manuel Henrique: Manuel Henrique Jr. (b ±1921), Robert Henrique (b ±1923), Arthur Henrique (b ±1924), John R. Henrique (b 1929), Philip Henrique (b ±1932), William Henrique (b ±1936), Paula (Henrique) Deitke and Virginia (Henrique) Sethares. John and his wife Martha (b 1931) were living here as late as the 1980s. Anne Brinton (b 1936) acquired the property in 1984 and sold it 15 years later to Paul M. Richardson. The parcel includes a two-story out building, 42A Pearl Street, which is the home of the writer Steve Desroches (b 1974) and his partner, the singer and songwriter Peter Donnelly (b 1960). More pictures and history
On Miller Hill, Charles W. Hawthorne built a studio that looked like a barn. On Pearl Street, he turned a barn into a studio. (As it appeared in 2006, above, and after reconstruction, below.) His legacy here was continued through the ’90s by his students Edwin “Dick” Dickinson (1891-1978) and Henry Hensche (1899-1992), then by Hensche’s student, Lois Griffel (Streib) (b 1946), of 22 Brewster Street, who ran this as the Cape Cod School of Art. The most important association is between this property and Dickinson, whose View From 46 Pearl Street (1933) is shown above. (Hawthorne is identified most strongly with 25 Miller Hill Road, Hensche with 2-4 Hensche Lane.)