5 Pleasant Street

5 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2011), by David W. Dunlap. 
5 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2012), by David W. Dunlap.Two noble old out buildings complement this early 19th-century house. Caroline Ruth MacFarlane (b 1895) — “whose skill as a cook built the fame of Harbor Lunch,” The Provincetown Advocate said — purchased this property in 1934 from Grace Ellen McInnis of Washington. In 1940, Caroline married Joseph DeCosta (b ±1894), who was the co-owner of Harbor Lunch, 279 Commercial Street. She did a bit of cooking at the Viking Restaurant, 269-271 Commercial, which her son Harold W. MacFarlane opened in 1955. (For reasons why a Provincetown dining spot would commemorate the Vikings, of all people, please see 7 Cottage Street.) Members of the Order of the Eastern Star fraternal organization also enjoyed repasts prepared by Mrs. DeCosta. More pictures and history»

6 Pleasant Street

6 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2012), by David W. Dunlap.An especially noble survivor from the early 19th century, and a near centenarian in single-family ownership, 6 Pleasant Street was acquired in 1918 by Joseph Bent (d 1948). It passed to his widow, Georgie Silva (Perry) Bent (±1885-1953), then to their daughter Frances (Bent) Harding (b 1910) and her husband Walter R. Harding (b 1917), then to their son, Ramour Harding (b 1953). • MapHistoric District SurveyAssessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-06-29

8 Pleasant Street

8 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2011), by David W. Dunlap. 
Joan Marsha Kenney. Long Pointer 1954. Courtesy of the Provincetown History Preservation Project.Joan Marsha (Kenney) Tremblay, pictured at left in her high school portrait, lived here as she grew up in the 1940s and ’50s. The Volton-Kenney-Tremblay family owned this mid-19th-century house from 1904 until 2011, when it was purchased by Scott R. Dolny and Michael E. Palmer. (Glimpses of their home in South Boston were offered in the summer of 2008 by Design New England magazine.) Palmer and Dolny hired Ted Smith Architect of Boston and Provincetown to undertake a substantial reconstruction. In 2012, the Zoning Board of Appeals granted permits for a deviation in building scale to reconfigure dormers, construct a new dormer and add a partial second floor. (Minutes of the meeting, 5 April 2012.) More pictures and history

10 Pleasant Street

10 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2011), by David W. Dunlap. 
There is a peculiar type of style I’d love to know more about: call it late Potemkin Village. It describes houses with fully developed gable fronts that extend only one window bay deep, after which the footprint shrinks drastically. (Another example is found at 9 Alden Street.) The side-by-side comparison below shows 10 Pleasant Street before and after a renovation in 2011.

10 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2008-2012), by David W. Dunlap. 
More pictures and history»

11 Pleasant Street

11 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2011), by David W. Dunlap. 
11 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2011), by David W. Dunlap.Time was when each little neighborhood in Provincetown had its own distinctive market. (Actually, that’s still somewhat true today, though not in such abundance.) Among the best known was the Fishermen’s Market, 128 Bradford Street, run by Emma L. (Smith) Marshall (b ±1893) and Joseph A. Marshall (b ±1894). Young Emma lived here until she went to college. Her parents were Charles B. and Emma Augusta (Harris) Smith. Her sister was Harriet A. (Smith) Porter (±1889-1964), whose husband was Charles Henry Ellsworth Porter (d 1946). Harriet and Charles had a daughter, Ruth G. (Porter) Wilson, who lived in this house until her death in 1983. More pictures and history»

18 Pleasant Street

Frances Raymond, "They Also Faced the Sea," Provincetown (2011), by David W. Dunlap. 
18 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2011), by David W. Dunlap.You know the face of Frances (Perry) Raymond very well. You may not think you know her, but you’ve seen her dozens of times — perhaps hundreds. Hers is the northernmost face of They Also Faced the Sea on Fisherman’s Wharf, by Ewa Nogiec and Norma Holt. Mrs. Raymond (1905-2009) lived here after the death in 1956 of her husband, Frank Raymond. Together, they had run Skipper Raymond’s Cottages, 27 Bradford Street. Born in Provincetown, Mrs. Raymond was the daughter of Joseph J. and Mary (Medeiros) Perry. More history»

20 Pleasant Street

20 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2011), by David W. Dunlap.The year 2013 marks the centenary of the ownership of 20 Pleasant Street by members of the Crawley family. Frank Crawley (±1862-1943), a fisherman who came to Provincetown from the Azores as a youth, bought the property from Gertrude DeWager and Charles B. Snow in 1913. His wife was Henrietta Crawley (b ±1872). Their son Clifton J. Crawley (b 1914), a bookkeeper, then owned this house with his wife, Eunice Pettit (Cordeiro) Crawley (b 1921). Today, it is owned by their son, Clifton J. Crawley Jr. (b 1958), who lives in Glastonbury, Conn. • MapAssessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-07-04

21 Pleasant Street

21 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2013), by David W. Dunlap.John Andrews (b ±1886), a Portuguese fisherman who was naturalized in 1944, acquired this house from the Town of Provincetown in 1934 and lived here with his wife, Irene Andrews (b 1892), and six children. Among them were Antone Andrews (±1910-1966) and Manuel Francis “Manny” Andrews (1917-2002), a fishhandler and laborer who lived here at least through the mid-1990s. The family sold the property in 2000 for $275,000. In the midst of the Great Depression, John Andrews had bought it for $55.85. • MapAssessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-07-04

24 Pleasant Street

No picture yet.24 Pleasant Condominium

Frank P. Lema (±1887-1967) came to the United States when he was 20 years old and worked as a commercial fisherman until 1952. He and his wife, Wilhelmina (Guilhemina Souza) Lema (b ±1887), acquired this property in 1943 and operated it in the mid-1950s as an accommodation called the Pleasant House. Their daughter Mary (Lema) Mello sold it in 1972 to Bernard E. and Margaret Ann Ciampi. It is now a five-unit condo. More information»

25 Pleasant Street

25 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2011), by David W. Dunlap.Frank Santos (b ±1891) and Edelvina “Delphine” Santos (b ±1893) bought this house in 1940 from Joseph E. and Helen A. Macara. They sold it in 1970 to Wolfgang Fisseler, who transferred it to Elaine Elio in 1981. She sold it in 1984 to Ralph J. Buliung Jr. and Ralph J. Buliung III. Diana J. Gazzolo (b 1955) purchased it in 1994. • MapAssessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-07-04

26 Pleasant Street

26 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2011), by David W. Dunlap.Barshie Condominium

Philomena Patrick (b ±1911) did not have to travel too far to find a husband — just down a few doors to 8 Pleasant Street, where Frank Volton (b ±1906) waited. They were wed in 1931. Her parents were John Patrick (b ±1886), a fisherman, and Margaret Patrick (b ±1890). The property is now a five-unit condo. • MapAssessor’s Online Database, Unit 1 • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 2 • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 3 • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 4 • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 5 ¶ Posted 2013-07-04

27 Pleasant Street

27 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2013), by David W. Dunlap. 
27 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2012), by David W. Dunlap.One of the more Janus-faced homes in town, 27 Pleasant Street looks like a full Cape in front but nothing like it in the back. This property was in the hands of the Tasha-Thomas family for 108 years. Frances “Fannie” (Lewis) Tasha (±1863-1952) acquired the house from Maria M. Jacinth in 1897. Her husband was Eugene Tasha. She held on to it until 1944, when she transferred it to her son Ernest Tasha Sr. (b ±1898) and her daughter-in-law Dorothy M. (Joseph) Tasha (b ±1911). More history»

28 Pleasant Street

28 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2011), by David W. Dunlap.Among my favorite structures are utilitarian, multi-purpose out buildings; the real workhorses — doubling, sometimes tripling or quadrupling as garages, shops, studios, store houses and living quarters. Frank Patrick (b 1908) was a carpenter. He and his wife, Angeline Patrick (b 1916), owned this property from 1947 to 2000. Sandra Annette Bolin (b 1957), whose occupation is gardener, has owned it since 2002, with Cynthia S. Glott. • MapAssessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-07-04

29 Pleasant Street

29 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2011), by David W. Dunlap.Here there be Souzas, and a dog of whom passersby are cautioned — by signs at either end of the house — to beware. Pleasant Street was once full of Souzas, which is not much more remarkable in Provincetown than saying that there were a lot of people named Smith. But this house and 38 Pleasant Street are the real bulwarks. Frank P. Souza Sr. (b ±1895), a fisherman, and his wife, Elsie M. Souza (b ±1902), bought the property in 1929 from John J. and Minnie R. Silva. Their son William H. Souza (1924-1986) was a seaman (first class) aboard the battleship New York, More history»

30 Pleasant Street

Headline in The Provincetown Advocate, 10 September 1936. From Provincetown Online: The Advocate Live!, by the Provincetown Public Library. 

It’s still a startling headline, nearly 80 years later. But chances are that you’ve never heard of the fog-bound collision near Finn’s Ledge on 9 September 1936 of the steamship Romance, with 153 passengers, and the liner New York, with 350. That’s because there were no casualties. And that’s in part because Antone Ferreira (b ±1913) of 30 Pleasant Street was abord the Romance that night. More pictures and history»

34 Pleasant Street

No picture yet 
Donald L. Morris. Long Pointer 1953. Courtesy of the Provincetown History Preservation Project.Pleasant Pearl Condominium

Margaret E. Morris (b ±1901) acquired this property in 1938 from Ernest C. Jensen. She lived here with her husband, John V. Morris Sr. (b ±1895), a clerk. He was the son of Annie J. (Souza) Morris (b ±1870), who had been born in San Jorge, the Azores, and Manuel Morris (d ±1925). Margaret Morris was active in the J. C. Freeman Women’s Relief Corps. Their children included Donald L. Morris, shown here in his senior class portrait from the Long Pointer 1953; John V. Morris Jr., who was wounded in France in World War II; Creighton L. Morris; Leland J. Morris; and Ernestine Michael, to whom title was transferred in 1975. She and her husband sold 34 Pleasant to Marian L. Pressler in 1992. Pressler sold in turn to Paul M. Richardson and Mary I. Leitch, who established the four-unit condo in 2002. More information»

35 Pleasant Street

35 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2011)-01Spyglass Cove Condominium

This property was converted into a three-unit condo in 2010 by Suzanne G. Ingraham (b 1958) and Maryann Taormina, who are also officers of Gold Key Financing and Consulting of Naples, Fla. • MapAssessor’s Online Database, Unit A • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit B • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit C ¶ Posted 2013-07-14

36 Pleasant Street

No picture yet.Pleasant Living Condominium

One of the most celebrated of the heroic breed of highline fishermen, Capt. Manuel (Inacio) Enos (±1871-1955), lived here. “Provincetown lost another of its fast vanishing crew of deep-water mariners and able skippers of the day of sails,” The Provincetown Advocate said at the time of his death (“Cape End Loses Deep Sea Skipper,” 31 March 1955), adding that Enos was the “last of the Grand Bankers to go out of this port.” His fame was widespread — Mary Heaton Vorse spoke of Enos in Time and the Town, while The New York Sun ran a feature article in 1938 that called him the “Sage of Provincetown” — and he enjoyed it considerably. More history»

38 Pleasant Street

38 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2011)-01 
38 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2011)-02For more than 70 years, this house has belonged to the Souza family, going back to Joseph (Palheiro) Souza (b ±1881), a fisherman, and his wife, Mary Souza (b ±1886), both of whom immigrated from Portugal. Among their children — still living here — was James P. Souza (b 1920), a carpenter and contractor, who married Barbara A. (Messer) Souza (1926-2013), of Nashua, N.H., in ±1947. Their son, Allan J. Souza, of Brewster, has owned the house since 2004. • MapAssessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-07-14

40 Pleasant Street

No picture yet.40 Pleasant Street Condominium

Another group of Souzas was here. Isadore L. Souza and his wife, Rosalie Souza, sold the house in 1947 to Manuel Souza (b ±1886) and his wife, Margaret Julia Souza (b ±1893), who worked as a domestic. Also living here at that time, and through the early 1970s, were Anthony E. Souza (b ±1911), a barber, and Eleanor I. Souza (b ±1916). More history»

43 Pleasant Street

43 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2011), by David W. Dunlap. 
43 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2013), by David W. Dunlap.43 Pleasant Street Condominium

The Packet-Macioci family owned this house from 1947 until 2004, beginning with Francis Packet (±1906-1973), a retired Coast Guardsman, and his wife, Beatrice (Lema) Packet (b 1913), who purchased it from Margaret and Manuel Isadore Souza. Packet’s father, Manuel Packet, had come from São Miguel in the Azores. His mother was Minnie (Meads) Packet. Title was transferred in 1992 from Mrs. Packet to Phyllis J. (Packet) Macioci and her husband, Frank Vincent Macioci (d 2002). More history»

47 Pleasant Street

47 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2010), by David W. Dunlap. 
47 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2013), by David W. Dunlap.47 Pleasant Street Condominium

Two eras of town history, both now seeming almost equally remote, are embodied in this odd-looking mashup. The south half of the hybrid, pictured above, is a classic three-quarter Cape. It is believed to have stood originally at the east end of the Long Point settlement, where it served as the home of one Jonathan Smith, whose storehouse was not far away. Like the other buildings on the point, it was floated over to Provincetown in the mid-19th century, after which it was grafted on to a two-story house on Pleasant Street. More pictures and history»

48A Pleasant Street

Plymouth Belle. Courtesy of Anthony L. Thomas.The Plymouth Belle, pictured here, was the pride of Anthony Francis Jackett’s life. Jackett (1924-2011) was the son of Antone P. Jaqueta, originally of Figueira da Foz, Portugal, and Mary Agnes (Mayo) Jackett of Provincetown, according to his obituary on the Gately McHoul Funeral Home Web site. Mrs. Jackett died when he was seven and young Anthony was entrusted first to Angie Ramos and then to the care of his sister Agnes Salvador and her husband, Louis Salvador. More history»

48 Pleasant Street

48 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2013), by David W. Dunlap.Pleasant Place Condominium

James J. Lucey and Jean E. Lucey of Boston acquired this property in 1987 from Thomas F. Jackett. A decade later, they established the Pleasant Place Condominium Trust and sold all three units. • MapAssessor’s Online Database, Unit 1 • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 2 • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 3 ¶ Posted 2013-07-16

50 Pleasant Street

50 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2013), by David W. Dunlap.James D. Savko of Winter Park, Fla., bought 50 Pleasant Street from Ernest L. Carreiro Jr. and Judith A. Carreiro in 2011 for $350,000. The next year, he redeveloped the property as a two-unit condo, described appreciatively on the Jon Goode Real Estate Blog. There are 3,100 square feet of space. The two-bedroom unit was being marketed for $810,000, Goode reported in 2012, while the three-bedroom unit carried an $829,000 price tag. “Illustrating the continuing strength of the market,” he wrote, “both of these condos at 50 Pleasant are under contract.” (The original 50 Pleasant Street has been redesignated as No. 48A.) • MapAssessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-07-18

51 Pleasant Street

51 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2013), by David W. Dunlap.Ice was a big business in Provincetown and John Anthony (±1863-1936) was one of the purveyors. A native of New London, he moved to town in the late 1880s, working as a fisherman and as the foreman at ice plant owned by Judge Walter Welsh, of 3 Court Street. He and his wife, Grace Anthony, lived here. Their daughters Vilena M. (Anthony) Woods and Anne Mae (Anthony) Gove (±1897-1964) inherited the property in 1938. Mrs. Woods passed the property on to John R. Anthony and Celia L. Anthony in 1978. As trustee of the Celia L. Anthony Trust, Shirley A. Fratus sold the property in 2004 to Vernon L. Brown of Boston. • MapAssessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-07-19

52-54 Pleasant Street

54 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2013), by David W. Dunlap. 
52 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2013), by David W. Dunlap.52-54 Pleasant Street Condominium

What appear to be two quite different contemporary houses on this oddly pinched lot, which wraps around to Franklin Street, are — for zoning purposes — two wings of a single two-family structure, with a common foundation wall and walkway uniting them. That was how the owners of the property, Doug Dolezal and Gregory B. Welch of Boston, persuaded the Zoning Board of Appeals in 2008 to permit the development of this project, where a single building formerly stood. (Minutes of the meeting, 17 January 2008; the property is referred to as 89 Franklin Street.) More pictures and history»

57 Pleasant Street

57 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2013), by David W. Dunlap.Pleasant Light Condominium

For many people, Town Hall began with, ended with and was embodied by Susan Marie “Suzi” Fults (1960-2013), assistant to the town clerk through 2012. Because she was involved in so much of the day-to-day business affecting citizens directly, Fults really was the face of municipal government. A native of Kittery, Me., she attended Wheaton College, worked as a buyer at Neiman Marcus in Dallas and was hired as one of Marc Jacobs’s earliest employees. More history »

61 Pleasant Street

61 Pleasant Street, Provincetown (2013), by David W. Dunlap. 
205-209 Commercial Street, Provincetown (2008)-02Those elegant double-P ligatures on the facade of the old aquarium downtown do not stand for Provincetown. They stand for Paige Brothers — Albert, Frank, John, Joseph and William — who operated the garage that preceded the aquarium that preceded the food court. The Paige Brothers also operated the popular “accommodation,” a popular, five-cent, open-air omnibus, seating about 25 people, that made its way up-along and down-along until the early 1950s. That this was a successful family seems clearly evident in this three-acre property, which is enormous by Provincetown standards. And as large as it appears to be from Pleasant Street, the estate just keeps sprawling northward; what you see is only the foreground acreage. More pictures and history »

65R-67 Pleasant Street

65 Pleasant Street, Provincetown.Ruth E. Hiebert (1922-2004) — benefactor, advocate, businesswoman and occasional lightning rod — started her life larger than life as the only child of Provincetown’s most famous physician, Dr. Daniel Hiebert and his wife, Emily L. Hiebert. She spent her final years here, in a large home she’d built for herself in the mid-1990s. Hiebert graduated from Provincetown High School and continued her studies at Tufts University, from which she received a bachelor’s degree in 1944. During World War II, she met a young lawyer named Maurice E. Fitzgerald (d 1969), who was serving in the Navy, when his ship visited Provincetown. They were to become lifetime companions. More history »