Pilgrims’ First Landing Park
The rotary at land’s end is the site of the First Landing Marker, which rises from an apron of commemorative and memorial paving stones. It was originally placed here in 1917 by members of the Research Club, an antiquarian minded group of Mayflower descendants that had been founded seven years earlier at 84 Bradford Street. They based their dubious assertion about the landing spot on a map in an 1865 edition of A Relation or Journal of the Beginning and Proceedings of the English Plantation Settled at Plymouth in New England, by Certain English Adventurers, Both Merchants and Others, published in London in 1622 and better known as Mourt’s Relation, after the typographically corrupted name of the author of its preface: George Morton.
Chester G. Peck Jr. (±1914-2000), the most famous proprietor of the nearby Provincetown Inn, 1 Commercial Street, owned this property from 1948 to 1998. It was acquired by Alix L. Ritchie, founding publisher of The Provincetown Banner, who held it until 2000. Edward “Ted” Malone (b 1954), the founder and president of Community Housing Resource Inc. of 36 Conwell Street, then acquired the property and built this elaborate, 4,760-square-foot home, which was finished in 2001. • Map • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-08-05
Inn at the Moors (Formerly the Moors Motel)
Here, commanding a natural panorama that may be rivaled only by the dune shacks, is the motel that played a key role in perhaps the most glamorous rendezvous in modern Provincetown history: that late August evening in 1961 when the new First Lady, Jacqueline Kennedy, came secretly to town to meet her stepfather’s stepson, Gore Vidal, who was staying at the Moors Motel. History does not record whether their meeting occurred here or downtown. (And the moment they walked into the Playhouse-on-the-Wharf to take in Mrs. Warren’s Profession, it was no longer a secret.) But it’s fun to think of Vidal, ensconced in a room like the one shown above in a vintage post card, preparing for a night on the town with Mrs. Kennedy, which ended when the Ace of Spades, 193A Commercial, denied her admission because she couldn’t produce an ID card.
Hatches Harbor Condominium
Hatches Harbor is rather far away from this 12-unit condominium, constructed in 1983. But then again, this site is just about as close to Hatches Harbor as any buildable lot can be. More information»
The five-unit condo was constructed in 1987 on land formerly belonging to William S. Costa, the last Costa family owner of the Moors Motel. • Map • Assessor’s Online Database PDF, Unit 1 • Assessor’s Online Database PDF, Unit 2 • Assessor’s Online Database PDF, Unit 3 • Assessor’s Online Database PDF, Unit 4 • Assessor’s Online Database PDF, Unit 5 ¶ Posted 2013-08-07