Department of Public Works Maintenance Facilities
Long the unloved stepchild among public properties, the garage and shed complex at No. 24 burst into the headlines as the possible site of a new police headquarters to replace the aging station house on Shank Painter Road, which was originally a funeral home. The architects of the new facility were Kaestle Boos Associates of Foxborough, which specializes in police buildings. But the project was ensnared in controversy because of concerns about its possible cost and because it would put the Police Department on the other side of Route 6 from the town, creating a logistical and a psychological barrier that critics said would damage relations between the force and the citizenry. More history»
Nelson’s (43 Race Point Road Condominium)
That’s not formally the name of this commercial complex on the way to the Back Shore, but it’s a safe bet that more people know it as Nelson’s than as 43 Race Point Road, thanks to the longtime presence of the Nelson family and their riding stable and school, bicycle shop, bait and tackle shop and market.
Clifton A. Nelson (d 1982) and his wife, Katharine Nelson, bought a large tract, including the stable, in 1948. Fifteen years later, operating as Nelsons Riding Stable, they began offering trail rides out into the dunes. They were joined in the business by their daughter, Charlotte (Nelson) Rogel. Though Nelson’s Bait and Tackle is now owned and run by Richard B. Wood, it has kept the family name, as well as the inviting feel of a shop from generations ago, where bright wooden lures can still be found amid more up-to-date equipment and yellowing photos prove fish tales true. A dense little grove of fishing rods stands in the middle.
White Pines at 60 Race Point Road Condominium
This 15-unit condominium (there is no Unit 13) was established in 2005 by Kenneth C. Weiss (b 1951) of Provincetown. • Map • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 1 • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 2 • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 3 More information»
68 Race Point Road Condominium
This four-unit condominium was established in 2004 by Judy K. Mencher of Jamaica Plain. • Map • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 1 • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 2 • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 3 • Assessor’s Online Database, Unit 4 ¶ Posted 2013-08-11
Out at the boundary between town and dune, a pumping station was constructed in the late 19th or early 20th century. The stack was a landmark in its own right. More pictures and information»
Race Point Loft Condominium
Eldred Mowery Jr., best known as the owner and operator of the Waterfront Apartments (the “Kibbutz”), 535 Commercial Street, and Marc Thomis established the Race Point Loft Condominium in 1989, two years after buying the property from Sumner E. Robinson. It was on this parcel, 89 Race Point Road, that a power plant and pumping station had once stood. More history»
What? A dump?
Only a quick glimpse at the map is needed to understand why it took nearly six years and an Act of Congress, signed by President Bill Clinton, to clear the way for the operation of the solid-waste transfer station. It sits within the Cape Cod National Seashore, whose very purpose is to ensure that protected lands are not alienated from public use and enjoyment. Provincetown was desperate for a new facility, however, and seemed to have no other place to put it. In 1993, Rep. Gerry E. Studds (1937-2006), of 91 Commercial Street, struck a deal with the National Park Service under which the town could begin building and operating a new transfer station within the seashore, pending a land swap under which the park would actually gain rather than lose acreage. More pictures and history»
Seashore Park Condominium
This 12-unit complex was organized in 1986 by Charles N. Rogers. More information»
Now, here’s a lawn ornament worth bragging about — only don’t try to push it a few feet out of the way to accommodate a softball game. It is one of the stout granite markers delineating the boundary between the Town of Provincetown and the Province Lands, or “P. L.” on the stone, as set out in the Massachusetts Statutes of 1893, Chapter 470 (“STAT. 1893 CHAP. 470”) Specifically, this is Bound I. • Map • Assessor’s Online Database PDF ¶ Posted 2013-08-12