6-8 West Vine Street

8 West Vine Street, Provincetown (2011), by David W. Dunlap. 
8 West Vine Street, Provincetown (2011), by David W. Dunlap.You might call Col. Charles Westcott, U.S.M.C. (Ret.), a washashore. After all, he wasn’t born in Provincetown and he didn’t settle into year-round life here until 1977, when he was in his mid-50s and at the end of a long military career. But to dwell on that technicality is to miss the fact that the colonel’s roots are sunk deeply in this sandy soil — through his boyhood, his marriage and this home, in which he happens to have grown up when it belonged to his grandmother Caroline L. Prevost. In 1945, Second Lieut. Westcott (b 1923) married the artist Carol Whorf (1926-2008), daughter of Vivienne (Wing) Whorf and the watercolorist John Whorf (52 Commercial Street), apprentice to Peter Hunt (432 Commercial Street), student of Henry Hensche (2-4 Hensche Lane) and sister of Nancy Whorf Kelly (14 Howland Street). Continue reading

† 22-30 West Vine Street

22-30 West Vine Street, Provincetown (1966). Copyright © 1966 Bill Bard Associates. Courtesy of Allen Gallant. 
Galeforce Ranch Colony Motel and Cottages

Joseph Alves (±1905-1963) ended retail deliveries from Galeforce Farm, Provincetown’s last working dairy, in 1952. But he and his wife, Irene (Raymond) Alves (±1906-1967), had an entirely new chapter ahead of themselves at their sprawling property along Bradford Street Extension. They soon opened the Galeforce Ranch Colony, seven cottages clustered at the intersection of West Vine Street. More pictures and history»

66-72 West Vine Street

66-76 West Vine Street, Provincetown (2008), by David W. Dunlap. 
66-76 West Vine Street, Provincetown (2013), by David W. Dunlap.Bayberry Hollow Farm (Remnant of Galeforce Farm)

There are few vestiges of old Provincetown more astonishing and evocative than the several acres of pastureland owned by Martha A. Roderick at the end of West Vine Street, where her parents — Joseph Alves (±1905-1963) and Irene (Raymond) Alves (±1906-1967) — ran the town’s last dairy farm. And in late summer, when loosestrife paints the land purple and the horse stabled there move slowly through the post-and-rail paddocks, there are few sights more romantic. With new housing all around the open acreage, however, it is hard to imagine how much longer this trace of farmland can remain so untouched. More pictures and history»