Against a tradition of impromptu theater spaces, a purpose-built playhouse opened in June 2004 in the reconstructed Provincetown Mechanics garage (formerly Cape End Motors). It is now the 130-to-145-seat Provincetown Theater. It was developed by the Provincetown Theater Foundation as a home for the Provincetown Theatre Company (founded 1963) and the Provincetown Repertory Theatre (founded 1995), and designed by Brown Lindquist Fenuccio & Raber of Yarmouthport. More pictures and history »
Category Archives for Garages and parking lots (existing and former)
455 Commercial Street
Now home to Scott Rodgers and Jon Hubanks, 455 Commercial Street was constructed in the early 20th century as a berth not for a whom, but for a what: Tamerlane. This sailboat took its name from a whaling bark captained by Joshua Baker Winslow on three voyages out of New Bedford, in 1854, 1858, and 1865. Provincetown’s Tamerlane was owned by Captain Winslow’s grandson, Henry Joshua Winslow (1880-1963), and his wife, Grace (Davenport) Winslow (1877-1970). The Winslows built and spent summers in the gambrel-roofed house next door, 457 Commercial Street. Tamerlane was kept in this combination boat house and garage. “They sailed her in Provincetown Harbor,” the Winslows’ granddaughter, Katharine Winslow Herzog, wrote in 2018. “The Tamerlane was quite well known. People still tell fearsome tales of my grandmother ringing a bell and telling people to stay off of that boat!” Both Nos. 455 and 457 were owned at one time by George Bryant. He sold them in separate years to separate owners, and the boat house-garage was converted into a dwelling. Rodgers bought it in 2016. He and Herzog met online after he noticed her middle name — Winslow — on a Facebook post she wrote about Provincetown. The families met in person in July 2018. “Kathy put together a collection of photographs and a written history of the property for us, which we will treasure,” Rodgers wrote later that day. “We now have pictures of the original boat, the Tamerlane, that was stored in our home when not in use.” Tamerlane wound up in the hands of Munro G. “Mun” Moore (1927-1995), an avid sailor, a developer, and a founder of the Fine Arts Work Center.