Seen from across Herring Cove, the National Park Service’s new Herring Cove bath house pavilions, which opened in 2013, seem almost to be levitating over the beach. Well, indeed they are. Several feet. The entire complex is on pilings, allowing surge waves to pass underneath, as well as to allow the entire complex to be moved farther upland if necessary. That is one of several attractions designed into the $5 million project by its architect and project manager, Amy Sebring, of the park service’s design and construction division. More pictures and history»
You can count on one hand the number of architects of national stature who’ve worked in Provincetown, with a few fingers left over. Having purchased a building by one of those architects (Walter Gropius of TAC) — the Murchison House at 2 Commercial Street — Clifford Schorer made the bold decision to bring in a leading contemporary firm, Hariri & Hariri of New York, to design the next house on the lot, 6 Pilgrims’ Landing. More pictures and history»
James D. Savko of Winter Park, Fla., bought 50 Pleasant Street from Ernest L. Carreiro Jr. and Judith A. Carreiro in 2011 for $350,000. The next year, he redeveloped the property as a two-unit condo, described appreciatively on the Jon Goode Real Estate Blog. There are 3,100 square feet of space. The two-bedroom unit was being marketed for $810,000, Goode reported in 2012, while the three-bedroom unit carried an $829,000 price tag. “Illustrating the continuing strength of the market,” he wrote, “both of these condos at 50 Pleasant are under contract.” (The original 50 Pleasant Street has been redesignated as No. 48A.) • Map • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-07-18
52-54 Pleasant Street Condominium
What appear to be two quite different contemporary houses on this oddly pinched lot, which wraps around to Franklin Street, are — for zoning purposes — two wings of a single two-family structure, with a common foundation wall and walkway uniting them. That was how the owners of the property, Doug Dolezal and Gregory B. Welch of Boston, persuaded the Zoning Board of Appeals in 2008 to permit the development of this project, where a single building formerly stood. (Minutes of the meeting, 17 January 2008; the property is referred to as 89 Franklin Street.) More pictures and history»
Like 21 Point Street, this parcel is a remnant of the Westwinds at Gull Hill complex, 28 Commercial Street. The condominium was created in 2002. J. Timothy Grobleski (b 1949), who was the town manager of Lincoln from 1973 to 1978, bought this property in 2008. This house was built the next year. In 2012, Town Moderator Mary-Jo Avellar appointed Grobleski to the Finance Committee, or FinCom. • Map • Assessor’s Online Database ¶ Posted 2013-07-21
Though the priesthood was a late vocation for the Rev. Henry J. Dahl (b 1941), pictured at left, he found himself involved in the arduous — if ultimately rewarding — challenge of church building within four years of his ordination in 1996. After helping the Rev. Marcel Bouchard construct a new home for Corpus Christi in East Sandwich, Father Dahl might reasonably have expected that he’d had his once-in-a-priest’s-lifetime experience in church development. Perhaps he imagined that his principal task when called to the pastorate of St. Peter’s in 2002 would be the maintenance and conservation of a building at 11 Prince Street that had after all been standing stoutly for 130 years; defying the Portland Gale and the Hurricane of 1938, among other onslaughts.
Provincetown offers nothing if not surprises, however. Only three years into his service on the lower Cape, Father Dahl was confronted — overnight in the dead of winter — with the worst catastrophe to befall the parish. St. Peter’s burned to the ground. And it fell to him to rebuild. Two-and-a-half years later, the deed was done, to designs by Tom Palanza of Mansfield, an architect and a deacon of the church.